Youth Of Today

panadolsandwich

I'm back in Brisbane for a while and I live in one of the more affluent suburbs, I bought a house here before the property bubble. I like to walk to the pub and lately there have been these kids hanging around on the streets, trying to do their flip thing with there skateboards and never getting it. Kind of menacing, but I'm beyond being afraid by anything these days - I've got an easy kind of fatalism ever since I got lost in that Chinese slum. They scan me over but I head purposely for the pub.

I'm coming back and they're still there and asking for change - I just show them my wallet - only plastic and sort of geniunely tell them if I had some shrapnel I'd definately be sending it your way - since I know what it's like to be skint that's for sure natch. They are very respectful. They seem to accept this and the guy who seems in charge tells me I look like Kurt Cobain. I get this a lot - probably because I can't be bothered to shave or get a haircut most of the time - and with winter I'm wearing a cardy. Anyhow I used to pull chicks by imitating him back in the day and they had a guitar so I strummed out a few tunes. A couple more girls joined us and some pot was passed around. I had to decline because of random drug testing where I work. One of the guys did however have some surprisingly excellent scotch purloined from his father's stash - I mind buying a bottle of the stuff at Sydney airport for about $80. Another guy shows up with some hot chips. Noone thinks it strange that I"m in their company.

Then a middle aged couple walk by and look disdainfully at us - I feel their alienation as keenly as if I was one of them. I bid my new good friends good night. I think we understood each other - my neighbourhood is richer than I thought, shame about the others....

Archived