The You Tube Your Favourite Music Thread

The_Munchmaster

My favorite from Quadrophenia was always this. I have no idea what the song is exactly about (other than being fucked up on the subway and generational/cultural upheaval at the time). Used to play this in high school and my mates would just go: that's the Who? (they only knew "you better you better you bet," and "baba'o'riley" - nobody even heard of Quadrophenia).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5v4yyPV6Y

forget the film itself and the storyline.

the song is about isolation and alienation which at times might have happened to many of us here.

Quadprophenia was written from a personal pov by Townsend,unlike Tommy.

i thought it was a better record than Tommy.

remember going to an outdoor performance of the 'opera' and it was amazing.

must admit 'Love Reign O'er Me' was my fave track.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

brings back hazy memories of staying for a week with a lass from a nana bar around 1998.....she had the cd, really liked this song. god knows where her flat was in bkk just went with the flow as u do, the faith i/we put in situations is/was incredible. :elephant:

mltr are/were unheard of in the uk

Hard to believe that I could possibly share musical taste with Kong, but this is one of my all time favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X8Ic86Hx3w

We had a work Xmas Party a couple of years back, and a workmate produced a guitar and started asking for requests. After the usual dirty ditties, I asked for 'Black' - he replied that it was his favourite song and proceeded to belt out an absolutely sensational rendition, complete with the background vocals at the end. Sure, I'd had a few, but it was so completely unexpected, and I could see a certain amount of shock on other people's faces. I guess I should be happy to have 10 fingers, 10 toes and a dick that still works, but I would be chuffed to have that kind of musical talent.

forget the film itself and the storyline.

the song is about isolation and alienation which at times might have happened to many of us here.

Quadprophenia was written from a personal pov by Townsend,unlike Tommy.

i thought it was a better record than Tommy.

remember going to an outdoor performance of the 'opera' and it was amazing.

must admit 'Love Reign O'er Me' was my fave track.

Always thought The Who was under-appreciated stateside (in comparison to Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, etc.). And I love Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones pre-80s. I once talked a couple guys into going to see Quadrophenia with me at the midnight movie, I think there were about 5 people total in the audience (this was about 89). I found it depressing (but I think that was the intent).

The last portion of "The real me" always meant something to me. A little mental illness in my family as my maternal grandfather suffered from dementia and an uncle on the same side committed suicide. Both when I was very young and didn't understand but the ripple effect would be a constant presence I was growing up. To me the most terrifying thing is losing your mind.

And I'm a blathering fucking fool. Anyway, here's my flavor of the week. And probably nobody else is going to like this shit, so I promise not to post anything else here for awhile. I don't want to dampen Munchie's thread. :)

When you can't sleep at night and you get in the car and light up a smoke and just drive at 2am, looking at all the night people -- these are the cuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThKNt-GY1ww

AND - I LOVE THIS ONE. Pure, unadulterated, horsepower. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoM5fLITfk

Always thought The Who was under-appreciated stateside (in comparison to Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, etc.). And I love Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones pre-80s.

Dave

The Who were also under appreciated in the UK just as much if not more so which in itself is a crying shame, the positive side being it made it easy for me to get tickets to their gigs the most memorable one being 1976 at "The Valley" Charlton Athletic's football ground, which at the time was the loudest concert ever recorded, my ears are still buzzing to this day over 35 years later.

Gobbie

Good call on Pearl Jam Black, there is a band in Bangkok, Blonde Haired Luk Krueng female lead and her Thai Boyfriend who play acoustic sets all over the city and whenever I see them they always play Black just for me (well the 100 Baht in the tip jar may help), I have been known to jam with them on more than one occasion, anyone who saw me at Ploenchit fair with them please erase from your memory.

Musically how can appease both Sayjaan and Gobbie?

Sayjaan states that Love Reign O'er me as one of his fave Who tunes, and Gobbie shows his preference for Pearl Jam so all I can do is give you this, Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjB1r77JljM

Archived