gawguy

US style:

New England - dahnse

Tidewater Southern - dahnse

Cracker Southern - daence

Midwest - daence

California - daaaaaence

Me - dunce :dunce:

I'm fascinated that Oz has its own rhyming slang. Must have been a lot of Cockneys among those First Fleet convicts. :hmmm:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, Jomtien immigration. Always take a book.

I sit down for half an hour, check the progress on the numbers, calculate when I'll be called and then piss off to the nearest MP, several nearby that are worth exploring. (try Soi 6 Jomtien!)

Then, suitably replenished, I return, find I have another 40 minutes, eat a late lunch, and take my place in front of the desk around 3.00 PM (having arrived at 9.00 AM)

You need to be very persistent in making sure you get teh re-entry you want. I always want multi re-entry, because I travel a lot, but once was given a single, which I only found out when i got home!?!?!@***

The guy had told me 1000 Bt. I queried it, said last year much more. he said changed rule!, I accepted it. Stupid!

That meant a few months later I had to sit through the same agonising day again for a new Multi. Well, the massage did soothe the pain a bit.

But at all times, remain calm and smiling. Dress tidily, no tank tops, do shave and shower before. Some of the characters you see there are a disgrace to the farang species.

Ah, Jomtien immigration. Always take a book.

I sit down for half an hour, check the progress on the numbers, calculate when I'll be called and then piss off to the nearest MP, several nearby that are worth exploring. (try Soi 6 Jomtien!)

Then, suitably replenished, I return, find I have another 40 minutes, eat a late lunch, and take my place in front of the desk around 3.00 PM (having arrived at 9.00 AM)

This is why I prefer to use my "Miss Fix-it" for Visa's, 90 Day Reporting, Re-entries etc, because she does the job for many expats she is basically at Chaeng Wattana Immigration on a weekly basis with a fistful of passports and knows the staff there (to pay the tea money to) to get prompt service.

For instance my last 90 day reporting 2 weeks ago, her courier came to my apartment to pick up the passport and the following day he came round to drop it off complete with new "Receipt of Notification" total cost to me was 1000 Baht. If I had taken a Taxi there and back, with tollway fees added I would have been looking at 500 Baht so it only actually cost me an additional 500 Baht which allowed me to do more productive things with my day.

(OK Miss Fix-it is part of the team who I use as my company accountants)

When the 90-day report to your probabtion officer nonsense started, we could fill out a form granting the Thai who handled our visas legal authority to report for us. Then Immigration put and end to that and said we had to report in person. No money changes hands, but it does waste the better part of a day. :(

When the 90-day report to your probabtion officer nonsense started, we could fill out a form granting the Thai who handled our visas legal authority to report for us. Then Immigration put and end to that and said we had to report in person. No money changes hands, but it does waste the better part of a day. :(

Flash,

I don't ever recall when there was a requirement to report in person, even now one is allowed to do the 90 day reporting via registered mail, just as long as TM 47 is completed and signed immigration don't really care if you are there is person.

You are confusing the 90 day report with the annual extension renewal. It used to be that you did not have to go to immigration at all, even for the extension. Around 2004 they started requiring all applicants and any dependents to show up in person for the extension renewal. Again, I think this was in reaction to people abusing the system in getting the extension. I also suspect there were small payments (500 baht) made in order to expedite the applications and not require the presence of the applicant. That expedited service is no longer available.

You do not have to show up in person for the 90 day report. But you are correct that you used to be able to sign a number of power of attorney forms and your agent/HR rep would use them to sign the address report form TM 47 for you. Now, apparently you have to sign the TM 47 yourself and immigration will not accept the power of attorneys. At least this what my HR rep is saying why I have to sign a form every 90 days.

TH

TH,

Interesting point about having to sign TM 47 / Power of attorney, on my last renewal when the courier came to pick up my passport I asked about the TM 47 and was told "Mai Bpen Rai" and got my Receipt of notification no problem.

I realize you work for an MNC in Thailand but even so only a finite number of expats reporting each month, but I am sure that the company I use puts at least ten fold the number of passports through immigration, plus I am 99% sure that my Miss Fix-it is related to a high ranking immigration official, nepotism gotta love it.

Would be interesting to hear Stone Soups input on this.

We are up to over a 100 expats these days with over 15 a month arriving every month so far this year. About reached the peak now with only a few more to go in the next month. At the same time that will come down by about 25 or so as the project in Map Ta Phut winds down in the next 2 months. Will settle out at about 75 or so for the rest of this year into next.

Our HR dept is very busy, they have 3 people full time on expat visa stuff. Would not be surprised if HR rep was telling a little fib to cover the fact they don't bother to get the POA's signed in advance anymore.

TH

To no one in particular, mate came in on a double entry 3 month marriage visa, had to fly in and out a lot, so applied for a multiple re-entry permit, and was granted it, turning a double entry permit into a multiple entry permit,

Fascinating, I didn't know you could do that!

Also you can only apply for your marriage 1 year visa extension 1 month at the end of the visa, which is why he did this.

New rules per diam.

Archived