Single Re-Entry Or Multiple

gawguy

following this thread,not that it concerns me but i'm just interested in something.

i know Members here living and working in Thailand are 'registered' with the authorities.

but in many Countries around the world it seems at times to easily stay illegally.

do people think think it would be easy in Thailand?.

if someone just kept his/her head low and attracted no attention from the authorities and just went with the flow would it be easy to escape detection?.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sayjaan, Good question,

I am now into my 22 nd year here and only once have I been "Inspected" the day Chonburi Labour Office carried out a raid on the office of the MNC I was working for at the time back in 2007, Mekong being Mekong I was out back having a smoke at the time and they "attacked me" with a digital camera.

No worries, I went to HR dept with them, after I had finished my ciggie and my work permit was duly proffered to them.

I know people who have stayed many years illegit, but personally it's not for me I have too much to lose here so I stay above board even though it costs me a lot more than it would do if I was illegal, IMHO it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. One could probably get away without detection but I am not prepared to take the risk.

On the other hand, when I was in Spain 2009 / 10 I never declared my income in Europe, why the hell should I? The worse that' could have happened to me if caught was having to pay emergency tax, they cannot deport an EU resident from EU!

As i said, one could probably get away with it if keeping a low profile, but is one prepared to be looking over ones shoulder 24/7 ?

Myself, I prefer to have the re-entry permit already in hand in case I have to leave for an unexpected reason... (interesting)

...I would recommend that next April, you get an agent to go with you for the extension. I don’t know any agents in Pattaya/Jomtien, but in Bangkok, Steve, at Indo-Siam has good people that will take care of it all at very reasonable prices.

TH - Thanks very much again and it's becoming more clear. FYI: I always maintain balances over the 800K. And I rarely stay 90 days but if so do report.

From this experience I see that you need to know exactly what you want when you go in because you aren't going to get much help. They are almost overwhelmed. And this is LOW season and Jomtien is a rather new facility and I think pretty well organized and managed. They were just swamped. I've been there before, it was a little crowded, but nothing like this.

Going with an agent is a good idea. But I think I can do it on my own if I know exactly what form of theirs accomplishes your suggestion: "..application form .. for a 1 year extension." Is that a clearly marked / titled form? I'll go back just to pick one up so I'm more confident before I go. Do you know the title?

Thanks again..GG

Is that a clearly marked / titled form? I'll go back just to pick one up so I'm more confident before I go. Do you know the title?

Thanks again..GG

Form TM.47 "Form For Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days"

Can be downloaded from Thai immigration website.

Reporting can be done up to 15 days before until 7 days after the date shown.

Form TM.47 "Form For Alien to Notify of Staying Longer than 90 Days"

Can be downloaded from Thai immigration website.

Reporting can be done up to 15 days before until 7 days after the date shown.

I think he was refering to the TM.7 Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom not the 90 day report.

The Immigration Dept's website does not have links to documents, but TV does.

TM.7 Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom

TH

following this thread,not that it concerns me but i'm just interested in something.

i know Members here living and working in Thailand are 'registered' with the authorities.

but in many Countries around the world it seems at times to easily stay illegally.

do people think think it would be easy in Thailand?.

if someone just kept his/her head low and attracted no attention from the authorities and just went with the flow would it be easy to escape detection?.

I agree with Mekong, I wouldn’t do it, but I know of one person whose passport expired 10 years ago and he hasn’t had a visa or extension since. He lives a very low key life out in the suburbs and is taken care of by his two grown daughters. I see no reason he won't be able to do that until he dies.

TH

I know I'll cop plenty for pasting this, but you all know where it came from:

I was asked to give some advice to a young guy who wishes to stay in Thailand recently but does not work here and isn't married. I explained all the options to his girlfriend as well as two of her friends who were present. We went through all the options and he asked me about overstaying. I advised him that it's a seriously bad idea. However, once his girlfriend understood that the overstay fine tops out at 20,000 baht, she encouraged him to do that. And then her friends got on board. They see the idea of visa runs, which could easily run more than 20,000 baht a year as a waste of time and money and the 20,000 baht maximum fine as a simple solution. There really is a scofflaw attitude and propensity for using short cuts here...

My question is simple : how many here would risk being extorted by the Police or Immigration under threat of a stint in the monkey house followed by a one-way trip 'home' ? I think the toughest part of such an ordeal would be knowing that you had accepted the advice of a pair of Thai women who had no concept of what it means to be kicked out of Thailand and never allowed back in. I got a phone call from Villawood Detention Centre from one such young lady a few years back - visa overstay - and she didnt seem overly fazed that she would never be allowed back into Oz. Villawood is a depressing place - longterm detainees have committed suicide, set fire to buildings etc - but she may as well have been calling me from the Hilton the night before her flight. Amazing mindset.

I agree with Mekong, I wouldn’t do it, but I know of one person whose passport expired 10 years ago and he hasn’t had a visa or extension since. He lives a very low key life out in the suburbs and is taken care of by his two grown daughters. I see no reason he won't be able to do that until he dies.

TH

as i said i have no plans to do anything like this.

i just wondered how 'easy' it might be to do?.

what would be the penalties if caught apart from the financial ones?.

do you think people would be locked up in prison until a fine paid or just deported?.

i'm just curious,i imagine different areas ot he Country would deal with things in different ways.

scofflaw

nice word

very woody

Stick, like you, is a KIWI. In my limited experience of the world, the only people who hang onto antiquated expressions more tightly are South Australians and South Africans - interestingly, you ALL insist on pronouncing 'dance' as 'darnse'. Flasher is the expert here - I shall await his decision on the *correct* pronunciation, eh bro ? :neener:

Archived