Bar Girls: Victims Or Not?

Coss

I always see references to "Trink" here, but I have no idea who the guy is - and it's a challenge to find his old stuff via web searches.

Trink actually named Soi Cowboy after Cowboy. I think he has had more influence on the falang nightlife scene than other other farang.

Mac-

I did not know that the biography author had died.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000711025625/www.bangkokpost.net/trink/trink160600.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that column when it came out, but I'd forgotten that he still insited HIV does not lead to AIDS. He says the majority of researchers are wrong and he is right. :banghead:

You will also notice the cut-and-paste email type junk at the bottom. Trink's columns eventually turned into little more than that. But in a way it wasn't his fault. The new Post management wouldn't let him write much about bars or BGs.

I bugged Trink years ago about getting him to write his book. He'd just laugh and say nothing. His history of the nightlife would be a best seller, but it is obviously too much work. (I can understand that, since I've caught the "lazies" myself.) 

Trink actually named Soi Cowboy after Cowboy. I think he has had more influence on the falang nightlife scene than other other farang.

Mac-

I did not know that the biography author had died.

http://web.archive.o...rink160600.html

Try to find a copy of From Siam to Thailand by Jorges Orgibet. He arrived in Bangkok in 1945 with the Office of War Information and shared a house with Jim Thompson. Orgibet talks about the Bangkok nightlife in the late 1940s and 1950s! Quite a different view of things. The book came out in 1982, made from some of the columns Orgibet had written over the years. Some great photos in it.

Try to find a copy of From Siam to Thailand by Jorges Orgibet. He arrived in Bangkok in 1945 with the Office of War Information and shared a house with Jim Thompson. Orgibet talks about the Bangkok nightlife in the late 1940s and 1950s! Quite a different view of things.

Looked for it, the CHEAPEST copy I could find was $60USD for used. I guess it now has rare status. Too bad, from your description it would be a very interesting read. I wish there was an archive of the OLD Trink pieces.

Looking at my bookshelf I just realized I have a small T360 corner. All of these were purchased based on recommendations or input from ppl here.

Photo%252520May%25252019%25252C%25252019%25252019%25252015.jpg

Dave - Look for a copy of Orjibet's little book in Bangkok. It's only about 107 pages, and for $60? Paperback too. I had my copy photocopied by a university library. Don't think I paid more than 100 baht.

I Googled and found something that looked familiar. Uh ... I wrote this.

My link

Dispatches, great read!

Try 'A fortune teller told me' by Tiziano Terzani.

Michael Herr's Dispatches is my favourite VN War book! Herr brings back many repressed memories. A Special Forces vet told me me that it made him remember things he wanted to forget. He is right.

The only thing I don't like about it is that Herr and his journalist friends always seemed to be getting stoned. That was fine for them, but getting high in combat unions was the best way I know of to get yourself killed! We left it alone.

Many thanks. That worked. A lot of material covered going back to '96, the first piece I read had bullet points at the bottom of the article with updates from around town and the nightlife areas. One of them said: "A few tattoo parlours have opened, females getting them as well as men." haha.

Archived