A Tiny Post About Vietnam

Coss

Had another chat with my sister about this last night - she reckons the only people who are pushier with tourists are the Balinese. I tried to explain to her that many of the 'locals' she encountered in Kuta arent Balinese, but its too late - she will never go back. Way to go, Jakarta - send as many Javanese as you can to 'paradise' and ruin it in the process.

Had another chat with my sister about this last night - she reckons the only people who are pushier with tourists are the Balinese. I tried to explain to her that many of the 'locals' she encountered in Kuta arent Balinese, but its too late - she will never go back. Way to go, Jakarta - send as many Javanese as you can to 'paradise' and ruin it in the process.

I realize that many Javanese have gone to work/sell/etc. on Bali, but when I went there 19 years ago, there were PLENTY of extremely push Balinese vendors as well...I know because at the time I was learning Balinese, and once they heard me speaking it, the vendors would simply change their pushy pitch to Balinese, haha. Balinese are also easily identifiable by their accent when you hear them speaking Indonesian.

• 2 weeks later...

I was suprised as a young GI to see houses in RVN with walls built from soft drink cans hammered into sheets. Viets did not waste very much.

I too viewed many an industrious villa made of such.

Some got a hold of the 7-UP/Coca Cola sheet before cut into cans. Made up a few house walls out of such.

I viewed in one small village a home made out of empty wood ammunition/artilary boxes. Neat looking home.

Gosh . . . sometimes I miss the war. If it wasn't for the bullets/shells/land mines/ and all the other explosive stuff - it could have been a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived