Kuala Lumpur

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I booked a hotel close to Buket Bintang and will arrive at KLIA and take a taxi to downtown.

what about sightseeing (beside Petronas tower)? what are the best shopping areas?

Bukiting Bintang is the best shopping,

Sight seeing, bah hum bug, no idea, wife did a tour once with the small one, she had a nice day, no idea where she went.

• 1 month later...

ok here we go after my trip:

after arrival at KLIA airport you can purchase a ticket for the taxi at a booth; it is around 70 RM (23 USD) depending which hotel. Or you go by the train to the central station for 35 RM and from there with monorail or subway or bus or taxi

taxis are easy to get but in comparison to Bangkok, taxi driver like to quote high fix prices instead of turning on the meter; some taxis have meter, some not.

it is easy to get around with monorail (a old skytrain) and subway, but connections are less easy then in Bangkok (sometimes 300-400 meters walk between connectiong stations. pricing seems similar than in Bangkok

traffic in KL has worsen significantly since I was last there.

had a hotel near Bukit Bintang; prices comparable to Bangkok. Many restaurants in this area; prices in open door restaurants are a little bit more expensive than in Bangkok, booze + 50%

food is a nice change to Thai food with malay, chinese and indian cuisine and its mixed forms

for sightseeing really not much interesting: China town, Little India, some mosques, chinese and indian temples and Merdeka square; all in the city center in "walking distance"; after one day you have seen it all

Malay black pepper crab not the same as what you get in Singapore, for me, I like the Malay better as Singapore is more of a dry crab and the Malay is a bit more wet/juicy/oily.

Batu Caves are like a 360 step/staircase, so some exercise. The small food shop at the bottom of the steps offers chilled coconut juice which I very much appreciated after doing the stair master!

Spend an evening near the base of Patronas Towers, enjoy the steam boat meal and the view of the towers is impressive, especially if there is a bit of mist/rain in the air to make the towers sparkle!!

I just go straight to Beach Club and surrounds - I now have it to the point where I stay in a hotel within crawling distance of the place. The traffic in that town blows my tiny mind - the girls told me the drivers overcharge them when they come out of the clubs because 'you can afford it !'. There also seems to be a threat of being raped by the taxi drivers - I know that is very real in Jakarta for ALL women - and I guess that doesnt surprise me. The Filis routinely pair up from day one - at least that's how it seems to me - and that looks like a very good survival strategy for working girls in a foreign country. The Russian and African girls appeared to work alone, but I cant say that I interviewed every hooker in the Beach Club in detail .....

Thanks for the trip report, HT.

Archived