Dead Serious It Career Advice

Hi,

"The more I think about it, the more it seems I might ought to go the programming route."

Focus on one or two languages only. Try a couple of them out, see which ones you feel affinity for and then stick with those. While the core skills are fairly similar there can be a big difference between languages.

I personally feel that programming for mobile devices will be important in the near future, so you might want to consider Xcode and Java. Wouldn't really bother too much with HTML5 as no doubt there will thousands of 'webdesigners' claiming they can do this.

Sanuk!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Focus on one or two languages only. Try a couple of them out, see which ones you feel affinity for and then stick with those...programming for mobile devices will be important in the near future, so you might want to consider Xcode and Java... Wouldn't really bother too much with HTML5..."

Sanuk!

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I'll do (Xcode then Java).

One more question...in job advertisements for programmers/software developers the ad always seems to want proficiency in 2 or 3 languages even though the particular task they are hiring for might require only 1. For example, a job advertising for "a java developer" might also ask for experience in "xml, .Net, embedded blah blah blah..." These secondary, or "lesser" languages--are they usually necessary for the current project, or are they languages the employer would "like to have" for future work? I'm just wondering coz if I get really proficient in Xcode and Java, I'm wondering if companies are going to want me to have "some exposure to a 3rd or 4th language. I just want to be "really prepared" and not just "marginally qualified".

Thanks for all y'alls advice and support on here. It's a comfort drawing on everyone's experience and advice.

Hi,

Those secondary languages can sometimes be needed in combination with the main one. For example, it is very useful for a PHP programmer to have good SQL knowledge as it is common that you'll need to work with databases (and thus use SQL) when doing PHP projects.

XML is another such 'language' (using quotes as I don't consider it a real programming language, rather it is a set of rules on how to represent data), knowing how to deal with XML data is useful in combination with many languages as it is often used to store/transfer content.

Sanuk!

• 9 months later...

I mentioned previous that the money is in engineering,

Interesting.

I'm happy in the UK/Europe (yes, it is possible) as an aerospace engineering contractor, but out of curiosity, I wonder what sort of engineering fields in Thailand require expats. If you have a moment to spare, Mekong, please could you add a few words. It may be useful for some and would satisfy my curiosity.

Archived