For Those Considering China .....

Drunk Brit sparks anti-foreigner backlash in China

There will ALWAYS be politicians who want to fan racism/nationalism/xenophobia - we have our fair share of them right here in Oz, but with a population as large as China the last thing I would want is to be a walking target. Our old friend John Galt has posted several times about what a wonderful life he now enjoys in China compared to his former life in Thailand - I cant imagine walking those crowded streets with the sensation that the tide is turning against foreigners in a country where the gap between rich and poor gets wider every day. 27 million Gwailo - it was inevitable that there had to be some drunken Brits in that lot.

I dont see problems with the average family-oriented Chinese - most of them seem to mind their own business, even if they have no particular love for foreigners - its the growing number of young guys who have diminishing prospects of ever finding that family life for themselves. Whether its Beijing or Berlin, that group has always been fertile ground for ultra-nationalist nutjobs who want to stir things up to further their own ambitions. Throw in China's history and the odd bit of sabre-rattling with the US - lets just say that Mr Galt has interesting times ahead.

Archived