For Those Considering China .....

what does this Galt interest you among 1 billion chinese and millions of foreigners living in China?

Foreigners are treated very differently in China depending on their position, connections, social status and ....what surprise money!

I have no idea what this Galt is doing...I for my part I am traveling in China since over 10 years more than 10 weeks a year and have always been treated well. Of course there are many more foreigners in China since the first time I visited nearly 20 years ago, but I have not recognized that there is much difference in how they are treated

I guess it comes down to my belief that what goes around comes around - Galt created a lot of shit when he was in Thailand then pissed off to 'the promised land' - there is gloating aplenty in the rants he has posted since arriving in his new home. Whether this story is no more than a media beatup - and I suspect that it is - I found the attitude toward foreigners in places like Guilin, a notorious tourist trap, to be just as bad as it is in the worst of the Thai nightlife districts. Fleece them and fly them out to make room for a new set of mugs - to be fair, there are plenty of operators like that on our own Gold Coast. I dont expect people to run toward me with open arms, but I'd rather be ignored than treated like a walking ATM - I guess that's just me.

Hong Kong and Sillypore are both examples of destinations where Gwailo are almost completely ignored - the locals have long since gotten over the novelty of tourists, and they have their own lives to get on with.

My only impression of china is through my wife's former husband, a Chinese that illegally immigrated to Thailand 20 years ago. They had 3 children and then he leaves for another woman, leaving my wife (and now me) to take care of the children. He doesn't pay any financial support and, except for the son, never saw them before we left for the U.S. He did, however, manage to screw up the son, by treating him like he was the second coming of Christ and treating the two daughters like they don't exist. I'm still dealing with how the son turned out. Maybe, all Chinese are not like this but I don't care to find out. I have no desire to ever go to China and, fortunately, there aren't many of them in Kansas City.

Hi,

What is of course typical is that they focus on the fact that he is a foreigner rather than the fact he is a drunk asshole.

Sanuk!

Currently Chinese leadership is using nationalist, anti foreigner sentiments as a tool to stabilize its position. A few years ago it was the Japanese (including violent demonstrations), now its against foreigners in general.

Bile has even come from one of the most prominent English-language hosts on state-run CNTV, part of the government’s multi-billion dollar effort to improve China’s image internationally.rotfl.gif Yang Rui, host of the program “Dialogue,†sent this to his 800,000+ followers on Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter:

“People who can’t find jobs in the U.S. and Europe come to China to grab our money, engage in human trafficking and spread deceitful lies to encourage emigration. Foreign spies seek out Chinese girls to mask their espionage and pretend to be tourists while compiling maps and GPS data for Japan, Korea and the West. We kicked out that foreign bitch [an Al Jazeera English corresponent] and closed Al-Jazeera’s Beijing bureau. We should shut up those who demonize China and send them packing.â€

Using threats against foreign journalists in the quest for greater soft power seems an odd approach. So did the recent attempts by half a dozen state-run newspapers to blast US Ambassador Gary Locke, for using ‘little tricks’, like flying economy class, buying his own coffee at Starbucks and carrying his own luggage yikes.gif, to build a favorable image with Chinese.

See more here:

http://www.theworld....iment-in-china/

http://online.wsj.co...1349288022.html

This has nothing to do with Communism, comrades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10PAsvZFoQ

Clearly, the Chinese have a historical willingness to lash out at anyone who pissed them off. It works the other way, too - Bruce Lee once told the American media that he found himself 'completely defenceless' when mobbed in Hong Kong after his first two films took off. I would have recommended staying home, but he was a headstrong type, our Mr Lee.

Archived