Yep, I'm Deluded

gobbledonk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

... ask for a copy of the death certificate or the postmortem photo.stirthepot.gif

Postmortem photo - thats a great idea. It must however, be posted on here too.

A photo could also be requested when the village cow has died and they need money to replace it.

I like it.

Its not about giving up - just an acceptance that women in Asia are born with a lifelong debt to their parents. Whether she works 12 hours a day in a factory or is kept in a gilded cage by a Farang sponsor, someone has to make those payments - I get that.

And there is a very positive side to that reality: in SEAsia, there are no nursing homes. People go to great lengths to take care of the people who raised them, clothed them, fed them and wiped their shit when they were young...as it should be.

What we do to our parents in the West is UNTHINKABLE.

If anyone reading this has ever put their parents in a nursing home rather than "disrupt their lives" to care for them, make no mistake about it: you are an ungrateful, despicable piece of total SHIT.

The Thais do a lot wrong, but this--taking responsibility for the debt of life and upbringing they owe to their parents--is totally RIGHT, and something we in the West could, and should learn from.

Nursing home ? Whoa - posh folks in your part of the world. I put both my parents in an early grave. Problem solved.

Ratchada has a good point.

for many Years i watched selfish people dump elderly relatives in hospital at a time when there was an inconvience.

people were willing to look after a relative and collect a slight fee but when things like a holiday looms they get rid of them into another environment.

Does this caring attitude also apply to farangs or is the elderly retiree in LOS more likely to meet with an accident such as falling off a balcony or being unexpectedly run over by the local somtam cart especially if the dependents know they are likely to come into a sizeable inheritance ? :hubbahubba:

Thais are well aware of the western practice of dumping one's parents in a "senior citizens' home" and strongly condemn it, but they have the unfortunate idea that this is pretty much standard. It isn't ... at least not with the folks I know. But I don't know many yuppies. :(

Thais are well aware of the western practice of dumping one's parents in a "senior citizens' home" and strongly condemn it, but they have the unfortunate idea that this is pretty much standard. It isn't ... at least not with the folks I know. But I don't know many yuppies. :(

What I have found in my brief experience is that in "Yuppie" families is that the eldest daughter will often stay at home with the parents whilst her siblings move on with life, sort of like an old maid but inherits the family home and distributes assets according to her whim.

My father was in an assisted care/old folk's home for about 7-8 months. He didn't like it, mainly because no alcohol was allowed on the premises. He was caught a couple of times with a flask but wised up and started putting his vodka in a sports bottle. Unfortunately, he got really plastered one night and it was mutually decided that assisted living was not for him. He spent the last 2 years of his life at home, with his two daughters periodically checking on him during the day and Practical Nurses staying at night. I still plan on retiring in LOS in around 10 years and have no desire to live out my life in a nursing home. Fortunately, I have two thai step daughters (and a son) that will help out. I'm not counting on the thai step son, as there is a mutual understanding that he will leave after graduating from High school next May, probably into the military (U.S.).

Archived