Frequent Flyer Points Credit Cards

Redbaron

As stated, all I'm really considering is the health/repatriation part of it and if it's "safe" to rely on. I have no pre existing conditions, don't hire cars and don't carry anything with me on holidays that would be devastating to lose (apart from the camera).

Your thread is wrongly named then.

So to answer your real question, AmEx insurance is like gold. I have known two friends that have used it. And several non-friends. Several included repatriation from Africa.

Thanks Corinthian, you've answered the health insurance conundrum, as have others - Still I fail to see how the thread is wrongly named..

Another one- would the insurance cover just me, or the good lady as well (both trips paid for on the card). If not, what if both names are on the card?

FWIW I've pretty much decided against the thing, but it's not out of the question... yet.

Thanks Corinthian, you've answered the health insurance conundrum, as have others - Still I fail to see how the thread is wrongly named..

Another one- would the insurance cover just me, or the good lady as well (both trips paid for on the card). If not, what if both names are on the card?

FWIW I've pretty much decided against the thing, but it's not out of the question... yet.

Well, as I quoted, you seem more interested in insurance than the card itself. And you can buy that level of ins with out any card pretty easily.

As is my experience, the card carries you and that's it. If you want the friend or family on it you have to tell them, hand over a boat load of info, and pay a small (like $100us) fee.

True - the thing which interests me about the insurance is the fact I'll be paying a $199 annual fee - not being a fan of bank fees, I'm interested in what the $199 gives me. Have since discovered the insurance covers me, spouse and my son so long as I bought 90% of the airline tickets' cost with the card (easy when you buy online), which on one 3 week trip to LOS would be around the $200 mark anyway. Therefore the Frequent Flyer points/miles and Qantas club tickets (sellable if I don't need them) are a bonus so the card may be worth getting.

Been a long time since I've owned a credit card, not a big fan of them.

Thanks for the advice all.

Archived