Bangkok Taxi's

Mekong

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never have a problem getting a metered taxi, if out in Patpong just cross Silom and get one passing on corner of Convent, just never get a taxi that is sat waiting, same goes for cowboy just walk to Sukhumvit.

I reckon that 99.9% of Thai Taxi drivers are honest its the 0.1% that give the rest a bad name, the problem is most tourist hop into nearest cab and it exaggerates the issue.

Hi,

"I reckon that 99.9% of Thai Taxi drivers are honest its the 0.1% that give the rest a bad name, the problem is most tourist hop into nearest cab and it exaggerates the issue."

Yep, fully agree. And like you, I never take a taxi that is waiting for a fare, unless it is in a queue (e.g. near the skytrain/subway, at most malls, etc). No way I'd take one that is sitting in front of a hotel or entertainment area.

Sanuk!

During the last couple of months:

Taxi drivers in BKK asking for a flat 100THB, regardless of time of day, location of pick-up point/destination and/or whether destination given in Thai or English.

I have taken almost 40 taxi trips in the last three weeks. Only one driver asked for a fixed fee and that was Baht 200 to go to Patpong and the traffic was bad. I got the next taxi and he used his meter. All others turned their meters on without question and on many occassions I was going to Patpong in the early evening.

10 of those trips were from Patpong to Suk Soi 22 in the early hours of the morning and as always I just walked across Silom and got a taxi in front of McDonalds. No issues. The fare is about Baht 70 to Suk 22 but I always give Baht 100, although they don't know that until we get to the destination.

So my experience would tend to indicate that "Taxi drivers in BKK asking for a flat 100THB, regardless of time of day, location of pick-up point/destination and/or whether destination given in Thai or English" is just not correct. :nono:

Archived