What Tgs Really Think Of Farang

Mr. Mojo

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, but I really want to know what your typical TG (not BG) thinks of being seen in public with a farang BF older than her by 15 years? I have a number of dates set-up and when I come and was wondering what to encounter. Are we simply being used, a resource for them? Will they be "hiding" me or is a farang BF a positive status thing in public? Sometimes the truth hurts.

I am also curious what the Thai men think of it. Are they pissed off as they walk down the street and see us? It does not much matter to me, but I would at least like to know the dynamics going on which may help explain any unusual behavior.

Lorenzo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think a lot will depend on how the farang dresses and behaves.

Thai men for the most don't really seem to care. I only recall one incident in 15 years where some guys made snide remarks to my wife. I didn't hear what was said though and only in the car found out they had made nasty comments. Probably a good thing as I would have confronted them and likely had my ass kicked.

Sanuk!

When I first came to Thailand, it was more common to hear remarks made - and age difference wasn't part of it. Some Thai guys simply were pissed off a a Thai woman seeming to prefer a Farang man over them. That was decades ago and there is much more acceptance now. As KS says, a lot depends on one's appearance.

IMHO:

My ex ThaiWiMe was my age, but appeared much younger. When in LOS, we only twice had comments directed against us by Thais. As Flash says, the age thing wasn't part of it, it was in one case, ThaiWiMe was called a hooker, (not, she was a simple GTG) and the second, was just insults.

I asked her to tell me the next time it happened, so I could hold up the international sign for tiny penis, my little finger.

The only time anyone ever said anything about my wife when she was with me was a market woman in a temple where we had lunch. The woman wasn't meaning to insult, but my Mrs turned to me and said, "She thinks I'm a massage girl."

She was too well dressed to be a lowly bar girl, but since she was with a Farang she had to be a sex worker! The Mrs just shrugged it off. (At the time, she was a teacher in a government secondary school in Chiang Mai province.)

Nowadays, you are unlikely to encounter open hostility or mockery. But - the Thai woman will almost instinctively sense that she is being viewed by the Thai public at large as almost certainly being a pay-for-play tart. This stigma is pretty much reflexive and automatic.

But - virtually any Thai woman who chooses to meet up with you and go out with you will have already resigned herself to being stigmatized as a sex worker - and will probably not dwell on the situation - but will instead try to make the best of things.

The better that you dress, and the more politely and conservatively that you behave in public, the less the surrounding Thais will look down on your companion.

SS

But - virtually any Thai woman who chooses to meet up with you and go out with you will have already resigned herself to being stigmatized as a sex worker - and will probably not dwell on the situation - but will instead try to make the best of things.

SS

SS, I tend to disagree with you on this issue, as Ratchada pointed out in his "7 Negative traits about Thais" thread, boys are allowed to be boys whereas girls are pushed from a young age and as such a higher percentage of University Graduates are female and many are now waking up to the fact that a foreign partner / husband is a better prospect for her than a less educated Thai man.

OF course if one socializes in Patpong, Soi 4, Cowboy or Soi 33 then there will be stigma attached but there are at least 1,001 other places to go to in Bangkok where no such stigma is attached. As others have said it is down to appearance, if the faring was wearing a "wife beater" singlet and the Thai female was wearing a skirt not much larger than a belt whilst cruising Soi 4 then of course a certain judgment will be passed where as if the Farang was wearing smart casual dress and the Thai Female was conservatively dressed in her business attire in a predominately Thai entertainment area then the judgement will differ.

Just my 2 Satangs worth.

For the record, I am 48 and my female friend is 45, your line of work actually SS she is a Lawyer, many people ask me why I am with a 45 year old Thai women then there are hundreds of 25 year olds who would bite my hand off if I was to hook up with them, they don't understand communication.

<< Graduates are female and many are now waking up to the fact that a foreign partner / husband is a better prospect for her than a less educated Thai man. >>

A Bangkok Post survey years ago showed that Thai men generally only want a wife who is less educated than them. Thus the more education a Thai woman had, the lower her chances of ever marrying. With an MA or MS, the odds were 50-50 of her marrying. With a PhD, the odds of her marrying were only 1 in 4.

Also, the acceptance of foreign men has increased amazingly. I asked the girls in a 4th year university class how many would be willing to marry a Farang. Every single hand shot up in reply. The Thai guys in the class were a bit shocked and unhappy. :)

Flash,

Its not just farangs it is many foreigners, have you seen the salary delta between a Thai office worker or a Thai who can speak Japanese? its 5 fold. When Samsung opened their engineering office in Rayong in 2008 I knew of 10 Thai women who married a korean within the first year.

But then again what do I know, I have only lived here 21+ years and of course the bar stool tourist 2 week millionaires know it all better than me.

Archived