Is It Possible To Translate Names Into Thai Writing?

AF16

It certainly is, though I wouldn't know how myself. Both my children have very English names, both given names and family names yet they are always translated to Thai on all Thai paperwork and their school books, shirts etc.

Quite possible, but the pronunciation wouldn't be the same. Thea would come out sounding like Tee-ah. There are also a number of ways to write it ... with several T's to choose from. I'd have to ask a Thai for advice. :p

e.g. William ends up being pronounced Win-yiam, Charles Chan-let, Chris ... Krit or Klit! 

Quite possible, but the pronunciation wouldn't be the same. Thea would come out sounding like Tee-ah. There are also a number of ways to write it ... with several T's to choose from. I'd have to ask a Thai for advice. :p

e.g. William ends up being pronounced Win-yiam, Charles Chan-let, Chris ... Krit or Klit! 

you bought back a memory there Flash.

one of the names you mentioned is my own and many times the locals had trouble saying it right and pronounced as you say.

I was thinking about a tattoo with my childrens names, and if I first ink it I'd like it to be correct?

Haven't decided if Thai is visually the best option, have thought about other languages as well. Japanese, Chinese, Thai... I think Indian looks the best, but I have no connection to India.

http://www.ukindia.com/zip/zsan01.htm

My children have two names each, and then I was thinking about the Buddhist saying "life is suffering". Meaning that every time you get attached to something you also open up to suffering, but it's a choice you make willingly. Munks seems to choose away everything but a few items, I choose to attach my self to what I think gives life meaning, and get both the reward and the price.

How do you write "life is suffering" in Thai?

khwamthukthoraman nai chivit: the suffering in life

ความทุà¸à¸‚์ทรมานในชีวิต

Thanks. That is the used saying in Thailand, or a translation of words? I mentioned the saying i English to my wife, and she did not know it even if she is a life long Buddhist.

It is aesthetically pleasing, but sanskrit with the line on top seem a bit cleaner/softer. Then again, my wife is Thai so a compromise might be in order.

Archived