Young Englishman Selling Cupcakes In Bkk

Boo Radley

No need to watch all of it. As I put in the OP, it starts at 23:32 and lasts about 8 mins. :)

Just thought it was interesting that he was working in LOS, presumably in a restricted occupation without a work permit, and yet was appearing on Thai TV.

Anyhow, good luck to him for making a go of it in Thailand with his teerak, in what might be considered an unusual, for a farang, occupation.

He seemed like an OK lad, hope he doesn't get in trouble because of it though, a farang selling thai food doesn't sound like a job a Thai could not do. The interviewers looked like right plonkers to me.

I think that you will find under section 5.6 of the FBA (Foreign Business Act) there are 39 Restricted Occupations of which item 6 "Shop Attendant" is listed. he broke the law and will be prosecuted accordingly, if he is here on a Work Permit then I am sure that 2,000 THB tea money would earn him a slap on the wrist and don't do it again warning from immigration, if no WP then off to IDC before he is deported.

I am sorry if I sound harsh but it is hard enough for us genuine expats to obtain our yearly 'Extension to Stay" as Flash and KS (to name but two) will concur they have us jumping through hoops already and any offense against FBA makes it more difficult for all of us here.

Some people Prefer cupcakes better, I for one care less for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGO9I8rmkE

Kong

Haven't seen the video (it's blocked by firewall) but agree with Kong, it's difficult enough for those of us who are legal to stay legal. Annoys the sh*t out of me when the law is flouted and said offender then pleads ignorance. If I'm not mistaken, it's printed on the visa 'Employment prohibited' unless otherwise stated.

Hi,

"I am sorry if I sound harsh but it is hard enough for us genuine expats to obtain our yearly 'Extension to Stay" as Flash and KS (to name but two) will concur they have us jumping through hoops already and any offense against FBA makes it more difficult for all of us here."

No shit! The amount of fucking paperwork involved is insane and every single piece of paper needs to be signed. Oh, and it is pretty much a given that regardless of how much paperwork you bring, you WILL need something else as well. This inevitably means another trip to immi (or the one-stop in my case) and more wasted time.

Sanuk!

The young man is just a visitor and freely admits that. He is likely blissfully unaware that he is violating the employment laws. Not sure where the market is located, but as long as nobody makes a complaint he will be ok. The TV producers are likely well aware of the problems they could cause by showing him on the program. Appears to me that is part of the ongoing joke they are having at his expense.

I agree that his ignoring the employment laws is wrong and makes a mockery of those of us that work legally. That is why when he gets busted I will have no sympathy for his plight, though I’m sure he will feel persecuted and will complain about it to all that will listen and on some Thai forum.

TH

Archived