Secrets Bar Raided

chelseafan

I don't know who these kind fellows are but maybe not the usual suspects. More than possible they are imported law enforcement that might participate in similar activities in their home countries.

Or eager beaver NGO types.

The latter seems more likely. I can't see the Thai authorities paying for foreign law enforcement.

Now if it's a serious crime or involves drugs, it seems like the US DEA gets involved. Didn't we see a report awhile back about US DEA agents present when they raided Soi 5. Incidentally, I heard a US Embassy employee once quip that two-thirds of the staff at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai are DEA. I wasn't quite sure if he was joking or not.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latter seems more likely. I can't see the Thai authorities paying for foreign law enforcement.

Now if it's a serious crime or involves drugs, it seems like the US DEA gets involved. Didn't we see a report awhile back about US DEA agents present when they raided Soi 5. Incidentally, I heard a US Embassy employee once quip that two-thirds of the staff at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai are DEA. I wasn't quite sure if he was joking or not.

Not that I know anything about this, but I guess that involving foreign police forces in regulating P4P is not desired, since the Farang police would get a closer look at the involvement of the Thai police in P4P. Nor do I think that just because a NGO doesn't like a bar, police will raid it. As I understand Thai authorities are not happy about NGOs looking into their affairs, especially if it's a foreign NGO's mingling in Thai affairs. IMHO NGO's will be ignored at best - as long as they don't produce international news, than face saving action is needed (probably with consequences for the NGO as well).

One of the officially states cause for the raid, thatan underage girl got pregnant from a Farang (owner/manager?) couldn't be verified during the raid (this should have been easy).

The whole motive for the raid sounds completely constructed by the police and I guess it won't become public, what had caused the raid - albeit I guess that the people in the Patty bar scene are surely aware of the real motive of the raid.

Maybe the Patty police needed make clear to the bar scene what the current (un-official) boundaries for Farang bar owners are, or it was the 'official' announcement of Tea money raise, whatever...

Then maybe the foreign undercover cop wasn't foreign at all, just looked it. There are ha-sip ha-sip boys on their strength who could easily pass for a farang in a number of cases.

As I said, I don't have real knowledge about this.

The whole police account just sounds completely inflated.

And can't imagine that Foreign police is flying in to Patty, for to raid a bar and to verify that there are in fact women working as prostitutes? But maybe it was a working holiday in Patty and they were attending a seminar about prostitution. hubbahubba.gif

And weren't there reports, some years ago, of Farang snitches, working for the Thai police (voluntary or under pressure by Thai police)?

Kamui, I hear you and agree, they are not involving foreigners for such an event. Reading the original article it states a report of an underage (14) girl working as a room maid and being 'impregnated' by a 'foreign manager' Just seems all so contrived to me. The picture attached to the original article only seems to add to that feeling.

Most likely Howard or one of his mates, strange fellows, my impression having seen them in action is that they think they're on the side of right, but given their penchant for uniforms, I'd suggest they could get jobs as parking wardens back in the wasteland. As to motive? Who knows, maybe Secrets were getting too big for their boots...

howard.jpg

howardmiller1.gif

17_02_53_4_2.jpg

Really disappointed to read that Miller gets slagged off by other Poms - how many would be prepared to do the job ? Agree that he doesnt have the ideal physique for that uniform, but he doesnt come off like many of the younger power-crazed coppers we have here in Oz. The doco was fairly predictable, but I've seen worse.

Gruppenfuhrer Howard Miller is a lot more relaxed in Pattaya’s walking street in a Home Guard sort of way

I may have referred to him in the past as the ‘Gruppenfuhrer’, mainly because of his jet black uniform which some people say makes them all look like Nazi storm-troopers. There’s no better or worse libel than calling someone a Nazi. I have been sued before for calling a Polish Resistance fighter a Nazi.

----

Anyway Howard comes across, and I am sure it is genuine, as a rather likeable, albeit sensitive, chap who is just doing his bit and more than happy to go out of his way to help those with problems no matter how thankless the task is. He gets an awful lot of internet slagging from expatriates for taking up his Tourist Police assistant role, perhaps because the police in Thailand are not associated with old British values like ‘fair play’.

Volunteers arent as bad as portrayed

Archived