Secrets Bar Raided

chelseafan

I would add that, from the day I arrived here, the conventional wisdom imparted to newbies was 'avoid the brown shirts - look for the Tourist Police if you have a problem' - not happy seeing Miller slagged off by people who seem to have no first-hand experience of the man or his 'policing style'. I admit that his efforts in the doco could all have been for the cameras, and no-one in Pattaya is 'squeaky clean', but how quickly do you think the novelty of wearing that uniform (!) would wear off ?

I wouldnt want to be a copper anywhere - very few upsides - but to suggest that the guy is on a power trip because he wears the black uniform given to him by his Thai masters is ludicrous. Always happy to hear from someone with direct experience - preferably something where he broke your arm and kneed you in the groin for littering ..... :angryfire:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how quickly do you think the novelty of wearing that uniform (!) would wear off ?

Fairly quickly for some, less so for others with little to do and a lot of time on their hands, quite the social club for kindred spirits methinks, especially in a place such as Thailand.

The UK has/had what are known as special constables, basically volunteer policemen, other countries likely have something similar. I wonder how many of those doing such here would have done the same in their own countries

I wouldnt want to be a copper anywhere - very few upsides - but to suggest that the guy is on a power trip because he wears the black uniform given to him by his Thai masters is ludicrous. Always happy to hear from someone with direct experience - preferably something where he broke your arm and kneed you in the groin for littering ..... :angryfire:

I wouldn't think it works like that but given that the police in Thailand are not known for the greatest of standards or ethics makes any sort of liaison such as this one where the individual compromises his own integrity.

Just IMHO. you've no doubt got yours.

They would be constantly 'liaising' with the bar owners - if anything, they would have to get them onside to be able to do their job. As for the 'social club' aspect, I dont have a problem with that.

(we dont have 'volunteer Police' in Oz - Neighbourhood Watch but nothing with a uniform. The SES (State Emergency Service) are probably the closest, getting called in to do drudge work like searching bushland etc, and generally do a very good job in floods etc)

Really disappointed to read that Miller gets slagged off by other Poms - how many would be prepared to do the job ? Agree that he doesnt have the ideal physique for that uniform, but he doesnt come off like many of the younger power-crazed coppers we have here in Oz. The doco was fairly predictable, but I've seen worse.

really amazing with what ridiculous characters our Gobbie regularly sympathize!

They would be constantly 'liaising' with the bar owners - if anything, they would have to get them onside to be able to do their job. As for the 'social club' aspect, I dont have a problem with that.

(we dont have 'volunteer Police' in Oz - Neighbourhood Watch but nothing with a uniform. The SES (State Emergency Service) are probably the closest, getting called in to do drudge work like searching bushland etc, and generally do a very good job in floods etc)

Gobble, whilst you're to be admired for your support of Mr Miller, I'd suggest that his presence in Pattaya has more to it than a god fearing desire to do good.

He's come in for a lot of flack over the years, some of which is deserved.

Gobble, whilst you're to be admired for your support of Mr Miller, I'd suggest that his presence in Pattaya has more to it than a god fearing desire to do good.

He's come in for a lot of flack over the years, some of which is deserved.

Hey, as long as 'some' of that flack is deserved ....

Radioman, I dont doubt that there are shady, criminal endeavours all over Pattaya - Farang and Thai alike - but the source you have quoted is the same blogger I linked to earlier. The very same guy who maintains that Miller means well, even if the image he projects isnt necessarily a happy one. I'm not maintaining that he is a knight in shining armour, but how many people operating in that environment are going to be cleanskins ? I dont expect that he is, any more than I expect our fulltime cops in places like Kings Cross or Surfers are the same men who left the Academy, but until someone links me to a proven allegation of the man's dodgy dealings (or firsthand experience of mistreatment) I wont change the fleeting impression I gleaned from a solitary doco.

Hey, as long as 'some' of that flack is deserved ....

Radioman, I dont doubt that there are shady, criminal endeavours all over Pattaya - Farang and Thai alike - but the source you have quoted is the same blogger I linked to earlier. The very same guy who maintains that Miller means well, even if the image he projects isnt necessarily a happy one. I'm not maintaining that he is a knight in shining armour, but how many people operating in that environment are going to be cleanskins ? I dont expect that he is, any more than I expect our fulltime cops in places like Kings Cross or Surfers are the same men who left the Academy, but until someone links me to a proven allegation of the man's dodgy dealings (or firsthand experience of mistreatment) I wont change the fleeting impression I gleaned from a solitary doco.

Yes, same blogger but I thought the article I linked to gave a slightly different slant to some of the people who appear to be a part of that circle of police volunteers. There do seem to be some shady characters in that town for sure and I'm just happier to be as far away from them as possible.

Fairy snuff though GD, maybe Miller does mean well. The blogger is a reporter, not someone I would ask for an objective assessment, they always have an angle, a story to sell. My point was targeting less the people specifically more the whole picture. Maybe I might see it different if the minimum qualifications for a Pattaya foreign police volunteer were to be a retired police officer with not less than 20 years blemish free service. I do know 2 that live in Pattaya, though neither would go near this shower.

Most likely Howard or one of his mates, strange fellows, my impression having seen them in action is that they think they're on the side of right, but given their penchant for uniforms, I'd suggest they could get jobs as parking wardens back in the wasteland. As to motive? Who knows, maybe Secrets were getting too big for their boots...

howard.jpg

howardmiller1.gif

Have to agree with the 'gotten maybe too big for their boots' comment. Things are rather too obvious on their site I'd say. Tall poppy syndrome and all that. Lots of farangs out there who might have a problem with the law that could be turned into rats/undercover agents. Lots of kii neow farang as well who will do anything for a baht or two to survive another month or two in the LOS. Scum farang ratbags really aplenty here. A Thai partner who is unhappy with his cut of the profits for whatever reason is another usual problem. It is why you should never go into any business arrangement in the nightlife area with a Thai who knows too much about the actual business and profit margins etc. They can and will easily screw you over if disgruntled. Secrets to me was/is very obvious in their business plan and what is going on there (sex for money). Farangs need to be very careful if they are involved in the sex industry here, especially if they are doing well and being seen as competition to the Thai "businessmen" here. Not a smart thing to do and do well I think. Thais do not take well to farang competitors. Seriously if you, as a farang, harm their 'rice bowl' they will try everything possible to fuck you over unless you have a fairy godfather you are paying off well enough who is very connected to act the protector and who has enough pull and weight to make your problems go away. (Usually a cop with big seniority or a politician with serious pull, which will cost you plenty.) Not really surprised reading this 'news'. Surely though if enough tea money is paid (if they are lucrative enough with the business) and it WILL all go away soon enough. :-)

Have to agree with the 'gotten maybe too big for their boots' comment. Things are rather too obvious on their site I'd say. Tall poppy syndrome and all that. Lots of farangs out there who might have a problem with the law that could be turned into rats/undercover agents. Lots of kii neow farang as well who will do anything for a baht or two to survive another month or two in the LOS. Scum farang ratbags really aplenty here. A Thai partner who is unhappy with his cut of the profits for whatever reason is another usual problem. It is why you should never go into any business arrangement in the nightlife area with a Thai who knows too much about the actual business and profit margins etc. They can and will easily screw you over if disgruntled. Secrets to me was/is very obvious in their business plan and what is going on there (sex for money). Farangs need to be very careful if they are involved in the sex industry here, especially if they are doing well and being seen as competition to the Thai "businessmen" here. Not a smart thing to do and do well I think. Thais do not take well to farang competitors. Seriously if you, as a farang, harm their 'rice bowl' they will try everything possible to fuck you over unless you have a fairy godfather you are paying off well enough who is very connected to act the protector and who has enough pull and weight to make your problems go away. (Usually a cop with big seniority or a politician with serious pull, which will cost you plenty.) Not really surprised reading this 'news'. Surely though if enough tea money is paid (if they are lucrative enough with the business) and it WILL all go away soon enough. :-)[/b][/i]

You should send that to Stickman - he can add it to the 2000 or so such emails he receives from like-minded Farang each week.

Seriously old news, CS - anyone going into business in Thailand without being aware of everything you have detailed there probably deserves the outcomes that await them. There are enough expats here who seem to have survived the outrageous antics of their dastardly Thai overlords to make me think that it cant be all bad. If it was, they would be teaching Engrish in S. Korea by now.

What struck me about some of the replies to our blogger friend's article was the vindictiveness of many Farang in Thailand towards one another - the Thais might not take too kindly to a foreigner's success, but what does it say for said foreigner's prospects when his 'like-minded mates' also have daggers drawn at every opportunity ? I readily admit that I know fuck all - as Mekong likes to point out, I am one of the '2-week wonders' which abound in Thailand - but I know what keyboard vitriol looks like, and there is vitriol aplenty in some of the mangled responses to that blog piece. This guy may well be getting exactly what is coming to him - I suspect that neither party is a cleanskin - but its abundantly clear that he has made some enemies along the way. That, or he has some very weird 'friends' ....

Ultimately, I dont need to pore over a Pattaya blogger's random rants to confirm that there is a 'Farang vs Farang' streak at work in Thailand - I need only go back to earlier threads on this board. Some of the pissing contests here have been epic, often around money and status - and from the same people who presume to lecture the Thais on their obsession with material wealth. I dont expect people to wrap themselves in a loincloth and take a vow of poverty, but it gets old - really old - when it descends into a slanging match. There are several board members who, afaik, have NEVER been drawn into any discussion of their monetary success in Thailand, yet they seem to have survived everything Thailand has thrown at them with their relationships intact. Given that most of us were drawn to Thailand by the women (and the temples, of course ...), that's a very good outcome for mine. :up:

In summary :

- Pattaya is evil

- Thailand is evil

- Thais are evil

- Farang are evil

- never go into business in evil Thailand with evil Thais OR evil Farang

- keep your friends close and your enemies so close you can feel their hot breath on your neck

Archived