Microsoft's New Tablet - A Skinny Laptop?

Coss

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had wanted something like that I would have chosen the Asus eee pad, can be used as either a netbook or undocked from its keyboard and used as a tablet, a neat piece of hardware but unfortunately running Android an OS I cannot get along with.

IMHO IOS is far superior, it's UNIX based (OK I am a bit of a geek) and far more stable, people complain about Apple's "Walled Garden" on their products, a discussion I have had many times with a fellow BM offline, he argues it is restrictive and why should I need to "Jailbreak" the OS to get access to it, I counter argued that 99% of all mobile device users are not geeks like us and Apple's "Walled Garden" approach whilst restrictive ensures the product remains operable. I know that by Jailbreaking my IOS devices I am invalidating my warranty but it is a risk I am prepared to take, I know what I am doing I am within that 1%. My old iPhone that my "official translator" now uses I removed Jailbreak some and reset it back to factory settings, no matter how many wrong buttons she may press even her cannot lock the device up.

Another thing I like about IOS / OSX is the ease of synchronization between devices, I do nothing, as soon as I am within range of my home wireless router fully automatic synch, I could make an appointment on my iPhone and before I have even had chance to take my shoes off it will have synched already with the Macbook and the iPad, If I was to choose "Shared" option it would also synch with her iPhone and My Macbook Air she sort of used one day about a year ago and has never given it back to me, plus everything is backed up on my "Time Capsule" all without having to connect a device or one single mouse click

I have been using, well playing with to be honest, the Beta version of Windows 8 on my only non Apple machine and to be honest it is an improvement on Windows 7 Ultimate it still lags behind MAC OSX 10.7.4 (Lion) in many respects and as such the "Lite Version" proposed by Microsoft will not be a patch on IOS let alone Android.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

Kong,

PS my "official translator" does not realize that she has an app called "Find my iPhone" on hers, its an App that can be used on any Apple device not just IOS, basically it allows one to locate the device if lost and the option to SMS the finder (thief), Lock the Phone or Lock it and wipe all data but she does not realize I can check her exact location at any given time, I have the password so she could not turn it off (as well as many other options such as reset) even if she did know. I know a bit sneaky on my behalf but a useful tool. <_<

Hi,

I'll hold off judgment until I've seen a bit more info.

Sanuk!

I have read, that it has some interesting hardware features, like the cover which has a build in keyboard, a pen function and a new material for the case and a build in stand.

But until now MS was mostly bad in producing PC hardware. Even the very successful Xbox took more than one generation and a lot of financial support to establish it on the market. And there is Zune of course.

Like the Zune the tablet will be only be available in the USA and "selected" online stores in the beginning.

But it is extremely important for MS to establish Windows 8 on the tablet and the smart phone market since PC sales are going down (except Apple PCs).

PS: I agree with Mekongs preference for Apple OS'. In regard to usability OSX and iOS are superior to any other product on the market (unless you are a gamer or computer geek).

PS: I agree with Mekongs preference for Apple OS'. In regard to usability OSX and iOS are superior to any other product on the market (unless you are a gamer or computer geek).

I thank you good sir after 6700+ posts we actually partially agree on something (Joking), I disagree about your comment about OSX and IOS not being for geeks.

OK I admit I am little bit biased, UNIX was what I broke my teeth on and is still a code used today some 30 odd years after I got to know it, I find OSX and IOS more "Geek Friendly" than a tarted up version of DOS which microsoft are going to market as Windows 8 or Android, again just my opinion.

If I had wanted something like that I would have chosen the Asus eee pad, can be used as either a netbook or undocked from its keyboard and used as a tablet, a neat piece of hardware but unfortunately running Android an OS I cannot get along with.

IMHO IOS is far superior, it's UNIX based (OK I am a bit of a geek) and far more stable, people complain about Apple's "Walled Garden" on their products, a discussion I have had many times with a fellow BM offline, he argues it is restrictive and why should I need to "Jailbreak" the OS to get access to it, I counter argued that 99% of all mobile device users are not geeks like us and Apple's "Walled Garden" approach whilst restrictive ensures the product remains operable. I know that by Jailbreaking my IOS devices I am invalidating my warranty but it is a risk I am prepared to take, I know what I am doing I am within that 1%. My old iPhone that my "official translator" now uses I removed Jailbreak some and reset it back to factory settings, no matter how many wrong buttons she may press even her cannot lock the device up.

Another thing I like about IOS / OSX is the ease of synchronization between devices, I do nothing, as soon as I am within range of my home wireless router fully automatic synch, I could make an appointment on my iPhone and before I have even had chance to take my shoes off it will have synched already with the Macbook and the iPad, If I was to choose "Shared" option it would also synch with her iPhone and My Macbook Air she sort of used one day about a year ago and has never given it back to me, plus everything is backed up on my "Time Capsule" all without having to connect a device or one single mouse click

I have been using, well playing with to be honest, the Beta version of Windows 8 on my only non Apple machine and to be honest it is an improvement on Windows 7 Ultimate it still lags behind MAC OSX 10.7.4 (Lion) in many respects and as such the "Lite Version" proposed by Microsoft will not be a patch on IOS let alone Android.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

Kong,

PS my "official translator" does not realize that she has an app called "Find my iPhone" on hers, its an App that can be used on any Apple device not just IOS, basically it allows one to locate the device if lost and the option to SMS the finder (thief), Lock the Phone or Lock it and wipe all data but she does not realize I can check her exact location at any given time, I have the password so she could not turn it off (as well as many other options such as reset) even if she did know. I know a bit sneaky on my behalf but a useful tool. <_<

Some good points, and I much agree, IOS/OSX is a very slick operating system and works well at what it does. I use it on PC hardware and it works remarkably well since it's not really supposed to, hah hah!

Still can't get on with it myself though. I bought an iPhone4 when they came out, kept it all of 2 months, then it had to go, been using Android phone ever since and happy enough. No app or feature that I want is not available, yeah even the sms sending remote wiping, sim locking gps triggering phone finder apps are on Android, bout six or seven different ones. Since bought a Galaxy tab and happy with that too. They are not perfect, far from it but the simple drag and drop functionality out of the box scores every time with me. Given that all our work apps and most of the third party diagnostic applications all run on Windows I just cannot switch it off, and at least I can turn my 8GB phone into a 32GB phone without buying a whole new one!

Oh well rather good that we have these choices, would likely be far worse off without them.

The new MS tablet looks an interesting addition to the field. The big version with an i5 and 128GB memory with Windows 8 pro might make an interesting toy. Time will tell I guess.

I find OSX and IOS more "Geek Friendly" than a tarted up version of DOS which microsoft are going to market as Windows 8 or Android, again just my opinion.

Android is more Linux than DOS, so somewhat closer to Unix in structure. More a shell over Linux really I feel. JMO

Android is more Linux than DOS, so somewhat closer to Unix in structure. More a shell over Linux really I feel. JMO

I also read that it'll come with either of two versions of software. So again we get if you are "a" you want this, and if you are :b: you should have something else.

If I wanted a great screen with a keyboard I'd get a laptop. See the new MacBook Pro.

I advised an older gentleman the other day who wanted an iPad but wanted to get a keyboard also and plug it in... Get a laptop... the thing about a tablet is it's not a laptop. Like the smart phone, how many people do you see whipping out an iPhone and then a keyboard as well? very few...

Tablets are what they are.

Phones is what they is

And laptops are the portable 'computer' that has the power of a PC

I also read that it'll come with either of two versions of software. So again we get if you are "a" you want this, and if you are :b: you should have something else.

If I wanted a great screen with a keyboard I'd get a laptop. See the new MacBook Pro.

I advised an older gentleman the other day who wanted an iPad but wanted to get a keyboard also and plug it in... Get a laptop... the thing about a tablet is it's not a laptop. Like the smart phone, how many people do you see whipping out an iPhone and then a keyboard as well? very few...

Tablets are what they are.

Phones is what they is

And laptops are the portable 'computer' that has the power of a PC

Most definitely. I can find uses for all but they really are use specific, for now. But I think the OS might be a part of that too. I heard tablets referred to today on the BBC as a content consumption device, that sort of sums them up for me too. Great for browsing, reading, watching, listening, but I wouldn't have written this post on one, way too annoying, need something a bit more interactive at the human level.

New Mac Book Pro, wow, aint it purdy! retina display that big hmm, not cheap, quality never is. I am sometimes surprised that nobody makes a competing product at that quality level.

Archived