Microsoft's New Tablet - A Skinny Laptop?

Coss

Android is more Linux than DOS, so somewhat closer to Unix in structure. More a shell over Linux really I feel. JMO

Sorry you misread / I wrote Incorrectly that Windows 8 is a Tarted up version of DOS, I never put android in the same category, just goes to show how bad punctuation can change the meaning of a post

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thank you good sir after 6700+ posts we actually partially agree on something (Joking), I disagree about your comment about OSX and IOS not being for geeks.

OK I admit I am little bit biased, UNIX was what I broke my teeth on and is still a code used today some 30 odd years after I got to know it, I find OSX and IOS more "Geek Friendly" than a tarted up version of DOS which microsoft are going to market as Windows 8 or Android, again just my opinion.

I know that you can hack OSX, but combined with the hardware the system is the most closed on the consumer market. Just have a look at the interior of the new macbook with Retina display:

The Samsung-made SSD and Hynix RAM are non-upgradeable, forcing you to decide how much of both you'll need now and in the future. Meanwhile, the battery is glued to the housing and that gorgeous display is fused into the assembly,

http://www.engadget....-ifit-teardown/

If I wanted a great screen with a keyboard I'd get a laptop. See the new MacBook Pro.

I advised an older gentleman the other day who wanted an iPad but wanted to get a keyboard also and plug it in... Get a laptop... the thing about a tablet is it's not a laptop. Like the smart phone, how many people do you see whipping out an iPhone and then a keyboard as well? very few...

MacBook Air, 256GB SDD, boot up time is amazingly fast, twice the battery life of a MacBook Pro, now that is what I would have recommended to the gent who wanted an iPad with a keyboard. I miss mine since it was hijacked, sod her I may just get the new one.

I know that you can hack OSX, but combined with the hardware the system is the most closed on the consumer market. Just have a look at the interior of the new macbook with Retina display:

The Samsung-made SSD and Hynix RAM are non-upgradeable, forcing you to decide how much of both you'll need now and in the future. Meanwhile, the battery is glued to the housing and that gorgeous display is fused into the assembly,

http://www.engadget....-ifit-teardown/

It comes with 8GB of RAM configurable up to 16GB, how much RAM do you need?

The 512GB SSD is configurable up to 768GB

New MacBook Specs

It does have its upsides such as USB 3.0 but the lack of an optical drive I find off-putting, I will stick with my 12 month old 8GB RAM 750GB HDD MacBook Pro for the time being thank you.

It comes with 8GB of RAM configurable up to 16GB, how much RAM do you need?

The 512GB SSD is configurable up to 768GB

New MacBook Specs

It does have its upsides such as USB 3.0 but the lack of an optical drive I find off-putting, I will stick with my 12 month old 8GB RAM 750GB HDD MacBook Pro for the time being thank you.

We are talking about geeks who like to play around with their soft- as well as with their hardware. deal.gif

As much as I dislike Windows today, I liked to have my last Windows PC custom built, with parts I had selected before... (but I am not real geek, except basic Html and basic programming of Filemaker I know nothing about coding).

We are talking about geeks who like to play around with their soft- as well as with their hardware. deal.gif

As much as I dislike Windows today, I liked to have my last Windows PC custom built, with parts I had selected before... (but I am not real geek, except basic Html and basic programming of Filemaker I know nothing about coding).

Now you are comparing a PC with a laptop, how many Windows Laptops could one custom build? Not many I am guessing.

I have already admitted that I think Apple have overstepped the mark this time with the new MacBook Pro, I don't mind if my phone my tablet and even my MacBook Air have non upgradeable specifications but never my main machine. The Old Macbook Pro, as it will now be referred to, was and still is Hardware upgradable, and whichever article stated that the "New MacBook Pro" was the first HDMI compatible Apple product and sadly delusional I have been using my "Old" MacBook Pro as my main source for TV and Media viewing and it is via HDMI, I get HD image on TV even though not on my non retina screen.

We agree to disagree, no problems, this is the Technology Forum after all one of the few areas of the board I have found left where I can have a reasonable debate without some asshole jumping on my back.

• 1 year later...

With the smell of Zune wafting strongly through the corporate corridors...

Microsoft Cuts Price of the Surface Pro Tablet By $100

Microsoft has cut the price of the Surface Pro tablet by $100 until August 29th, reports The Verge. This follows the 30% price cut on the Surface RT tablet made just recently.

Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that between August 4th and August 29th customers in Canada, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the US will pay $100 less for Surface Pro. "We’ve been seeing great worldwide success with Surface RT pricing and keyboard-cover promotions over the past several months and are proud to offer Surface Pro at more affordable prices starting today."

Brink...

At a price, everything will sell. The problem with the MS surface tablet is the pricing is too much like the MS software pricing. However, in the hardware market, MS doesn't enjoy the same dominance as in the software world.

Reality hurts.... :nono:

No flaming please :shocked: . it's just my opinion after 3 gin n' tonics.....

With the smell of Zune wafting strongly through the corporate corridors...

Microsoft Cuts Price of the Surface Pro Tablet By $100

Microsoft has cut the price of the Surface Pro tablet by $100 until August 29th, reports The Verge. This follows the 30% price cut on the Surface RT tablet made just recently.

Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that between August 4th and August 29th customers in Canada, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the US will pay $100 less for Surface Pro. "We’ve been seeing great worldwide success with Surface RT pricing and keyboard-cover promotions over the past several months and are proud to offer Surface Pro at more affordable prices starting today."

Brink...

Yep MS' Tablet is a huge financial disaster.

Microsoft Surface a Flop? Advertising Outpaces Revenue

Microsoft has spent more money marketing its Surface tablet and Windows 8 than the slate has made back for the company. In its annual Form 10-K that the company just filed with the SEC, Microsoft claims that it earned $853 million from the Surface and Surface Pro. During the last fiscal year, Microsoft says there was an $898 million increase in advertising costs associated with Surface and Windows 8. Those numbers don’t paint a pretty picture for Microsoft’s iPad challenger.

Recently, Microsoft announced a $900 million write-down related to the Surface RT, whose price was slashed from $500 to $350. Between the RT and Pro models, Bloomberg reported 1.5 million Surfaces had been sold through March, and Geekwire estimates that total is now 1.7 million. To put that in perspective, Apple just moved 14.6 million iPads in what was considered a down quarter.

http://blog.laptopma...face-sales-flop

Archived