Microsoft's New Tablet - A Skinny Laptop?

Coss

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Constant computer use has been blamed in the past for shorter attention spans, a culture of instant gratification and making young people more self-centred.

Watched this young couple while waiting on my IDL at Hirabari, Nagoya. They showed no interest in each other, whatsoever.

On their screens were some videos, soapies, not sure.

2013degeneracija01.jpg

What hell is that important to make them so distant while sitting next to each other?

Back in 1985. public knew what the computers were, albeit did not know how to use them.

Today, after all the gadgets and Google, it has deteriorated to the point that people don't know what a computer is and what is not.

What a civilizational regeression caused by the advent of gadget technology!

I see it all the time with university students! They sit together in groups in the dining hall, but they ignore each other as if they weren't there.

Tragic.

Moricoro Park, Nagoya.

This group of girls, i could not believe. They could be talking to someone world over or even a stranger while their friends (equaly engaged in their own alienation) are sitting next to them.

2013moricorojune0205.jpg

A generation that knows nothing other than that is now in highs school. In 4-5 years, all Uni output will be only degenerics like them.

That's where I said Steve Jobs had died 10 years too late.

Re the photos:

This is because, for young women, their place in the social standings is more important than life itself (see constant suicides of girls who are bullied or otherwise denigrated).

In the past they would be talking to each other, about what? About the social standings and their place in them. Now there is a technological means that gives them more information more quickly and enables (in their heads) better manoeuvring. We should be grateful that they are silent, remember the days of shrill shrieking, faux screams and jabbering?

I like the silent ones.

Can't argue with a lot of the gadget using approach to life that seems the norm, or becoming that way. A generation back people thought chemical stimulation would lead to a world of zombies, it was right in some ways, wrong in others. All about the nuances never about the black and white.

Re the hardware saga. I too like Apple products. Their hardware build quality is what I want and so until I can find a laptop built like a Mac Book Pro from someone else it will stay top of the list.

I recently bought a new phone, yes another Android phone but better made than an iPhone, which again seems to be an aspiration, well the HTC One made from a single aluminium slab gorilla glass screen and great specs is that phone for me. Now I need to find a laptop that well built.

Most DC's are dark halls full of 19 inch racks, inside the racks a stack of blade servers. Apple don't make DC hardware. No one sees it and they don't need to look pretty.

Re the hardware saga. I too like Apple products. Their hardware build quality is what I want and so until I can find a laptop built like a Mac Book Pro from someone else it will stay top of the list.

All laptops : Mac, HP, Dell, Lenovo...are built in the same facility, same production line, same people: FoxConn. As orders fluctuate, it can happen that until lunch they build DELL, after lunch MacBooks, same conveyer, same staff.

Could others make it as sleek as Macs are? With more designers, they probably could but their price range and requirements keep them where they are.

Could others make it as sleek as Macs are? With more designers, they probably could but their price range and requirements keep them where they are.

See that's where I have a problem. Some people will pay for the build quality and appearance provided the specs are good enough. Apple is hardly bleeding edge, where are the touch screen Mac Books and touch enabled OSX? Coming maybe but behind the curve.

The Asus Zenbook touch is a very nice laptop with specs equal to a Mac Book Pro and more ppi than a retina screen, the build is nice, just not quite there. US$3k is a lot to spend on a laptop, and Apple sells a lot. Given the common architecture it's no big deal to produce a product that will run any OS you wish, my home build desktop runs Windows, OSX, Solaris or any flavour of Linux I like both through multi-booting or virtualisation.

Re the photos:

This is because, for young women, their place in the social standings is more important than life itself (see constant suicides of girls who are bullied or otherwise denigrated).

In the past they would be talking to each other, about what? About the social standings and their place in them. Now there is a technological means that gives them more information more quickly and enables (in their heads) better manoeuvring. We should be grateful that they are silent, remember the days of shrill shrieking, faux screams and jabbering?

I like the silent ones.

30 years ago I was using CB radio, it allowed me to communicate with people from all over the world and not just the sad gits from the same housing estate or school I went to. I did actually get my Amateur Radio Licence but found the airwaves full of people talking about how to grow better veggies in their allotments where as then CB was fresh, lively and more fun, the fact it was illegal made it even more fun. Yes I got a few fucks out of it.

As technology has advanced we have moved on through ICQ, Internet Chat rooms and now Social Networking, again over the years I have had my fair share of fucks from women all over the world. Think of the phrase coined many years ago "The Global Village" and that is basically what it is a great means of meeting people you would have never had the chance of meeting IRL (In Real Life) if it wasn't for technological communications.

Take this forum for example, we used to have the weekly meets which sometimes I would attend, over the years I have met many Board Members from various backgrounds who due to our different career backgrounds I would never have had the opportunity to meet otherwise and a few of us have become very close friends. Technology like anything else is fine if used right, I admit there are many of todays youth (meaning people younger than me) who do seem addicted to there online life and don't extend it further to make new contacts IRL.

It is rather the the great british tradition of the Public House aka "The Pub" remember the days before we had Pagers, Cell Phones, instant messaging etc, the plan was "OK we will meet up at White Lion around 7:30 ish and take it from there" we were not all raging alcoholics just because we met in the Pub.

Many times the wife will be out with me and be watching some cooking show or something similar with her headphones on whilst I am watching a game of Rugby or the end of a cricket test match with my mates, something that she has no interest in, does that make us an unsociable couple or does it mean that she can keep her eye on me and make sure I stay out of trouble haha! Admit it, how many of us, especially those involved in multi-cultural relationships communicate with each other 24/7 there are times when she may want to watch something on TV that does not appeal to me so I put the headphones on listen to some music or check out youtube and maybe log into here. It does not matter how close you are there are your quality times and then times when you need your own space. My parents have been married for 60 years now but there are times when my Dad wants to watch a live game on TV and my Mother wants to watch a Soap opera, rather than disagree my Mother will either watch on her laptop or go an view a TV in another room, does this make their relationship strong or weak? After 60 years together I would say stronger, there are many times they do things together and other times when they give each other space.

Just stepped on the opening post by Coss, more than 1 year old.

Then on Kamui's post, saying the product has ben a flop. I was wondering if anyone would have said that and that is true.

The product is a flop. It even took Bill Gates to prime the pump, saying "the tablets need a keyboard", obviously missing that kids (and most of good eye sighted population)don't need that any more.

Bill Gates, the old school. It would not be interesting to mention had he not personally instructed his HR not to allow hiring of anyone who had worked with COBOL (a friend from Microsoft told me that in 1995.)

Still, the MS "innovation" failed miserably.

While COBOL (since 1959.) is alive and well. If each Google search by anyone is 1 transaction, then COBOL makes every second (even as you red this) 300 times more transactions per second than Google.

All banking, airline reservations, corporate accounting, it's all COBOL and mainframes. Hardly anyone has moved their backbone business even to Unix. Peripheral and feeders, yes. But not the essence.

Online money transfers, reservations...just pack up whatever you want from the colourful screen and it goes into the 1950-ies form of a punched card and gets submitted to COBOL for processing.

IBM could not make money on PCs (sold that to Lenovo) but still makes money on their mainframe business. Yes, it may have Linux interface but is still what we have had since 60-ies.

Archived