Microsoft's New Tablet - A Skinny Laptop?

Coss

Of course no experience with Google data centers. I have far bigger than theirs, with tens of 1,000s of real servers, industrial fridge size, doing different things, not just participating in the grid.

Google on the floor has the cheapest possible junk, scrapped from no-name vendors. Who on earth would want to be associated with that? You think it is something to talk about?

Where it may be interesting is above servers level but you would not know there is a human activity or skills of that kind, won't bother you.

There it shows if the data center is of the giants like American Express, AT&T, NTT, Deutscshe Bank or China Telecom. Google's junk is peanuts compared to that.

Now, tell us what you thought "experience with Google DC" is worth mentioning. Unless you are an electrician or aircondition gear fitter, I don't know what experience you could have had with them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course no experience with Google data centers. I have far bigger than theirs, with tens of 1,000s of real servers, industrial fridge size, doing different things, not just participating in the grid.

Google on the floor has the cheapest possible junk, scrapped from no-name vendors. Who on earth would want to be associated with that? You think it is something to talk about?

Where it may be interesting is above servers level but you would not know there is a human activity or skills of that kind, won't bother you.

There it shows if the data center is of the giants like American Express, AT&T, NTT, Deutscshe Bank or China Telecom. Google's junk is peanuts compared to that.

Now, tell us what you thought "experience with Google DC" is worth mentioning. Unless you are an electrician or aircondition gear fitter, I don't know what experience you could have had with them.

{quoted in case of editing}

I thought it important to express your actual experience with Google DCs, or any DCs for that matter, as you keep bringing them up as if you have intimate knowledge of them, which is demonstrably not the case. I wanted to have a good conversation with out insults but it is important to know where you stand because most of the "information" so far presented is pretty much bamboozling to match a Louisiana politician.

As for me, feel free to ask those that know me. KS for one, Mekong, Cav, a few others who have met me face to face. Yes, I work there ever since I left government service several years ago, as many here know. As yet another gesture of good will, I will pm you my contact info. (though it will be tomorrow before I can respond as I need to get some rack.) And no, I dont fix pipes. Though that would be nice since my pool needs some love.

As for your, sort of.. facts. I could not tell you who has the SINGLE LARGEST DC, (probably the NSA :-) ) but Google's total MgWt is are easily larger than American Express, AT&T, NTT, Deutscshe Bank combined. (No idea about China Telecom but just by user count it cant be very large compared to the rest of the world and as I understand it, it is not even 20% online yet.)

Feel free to look at some recent news for confirmation. (Sort of a riddle, but you can find it.)

Is it what you wanted to do? Tell the board you work for Google? Hope someone cares.

If you tried to change a job, with policy "Yes we love to rip servers apart" your CV would kiss the shreader without being read as soon as they realize where you are coming from.

Can't imagine anyone from real companies risking his employment tenure by employing a Google cowboy and letting him into data ceneter.

Is it what you wanted to do? Tell the board you work for Google? Hope someone cares.

If you tried to change a job, with policy "Yes we love to rip servers apart" your CV would kiss the shreader without being read as soon as they realize where you are coming from.

Can't imagine anyone from real companies risking his employment tenure by employing a Google cowboy and letting him into data ceneter.

And here I thought we could have a decent conversation. I did not need to point it out, most people here know already from the Friday get togethers and the member deliveries.

Now this thread just serves to point out you did not know anything you were talking about. So cheers and good job. Have fun at the bar!

Of course, you have not been able to say anything other than to drag it into your claim you work for Google DC (in an unknown capacity).

I said Apple is not a computer company. You said it is.

I said Apple does not run in any data center. You said (and gave Apple DC) it does while it does not, not even in their own.

I said Google builds their own servers from whatever cheapest components they can find, you said nothing.

Then you declared a victory.

MS Tablet with keyboard. A flop.

Not only that but a succession of MS mistakes have led to a caricatural situation: Steve Ballmer, the CEO of MS, has earned 1 billion US$ just by announcing his resignation. He could not have earned that much by staying another 20 years.

How? Investors, relieved that he won't be with Microsoft for much longer, rushed to buy MS shares, lifting the price by 15%. And Mr. Ballmer owns 324 million shares, x 15%.

Just what happens when people see that he is out and lesser chance of further blunders.

In 2006. when Vista was launched, I commented it's junk and would end up as Windows ME. It did.

But death threats from that board were directed to me, in PMs.

Of course, you have not been able to say anything other than to drag it into your claim you work for Google DC (in an unknown capacity).

I said Apple is not a computer company. You said it is.

I said Apple does not run in any data center. You said (and gave Apple DC) it does while it does not, not even in their own.

I said Google builds their own servers from whatever cheapest components they can find, you said nothing.

Then you declared a victory.

Thanks for proving my point. Enjoy the bar!

I knew few people working in data centres, myself based 3 years in the building where the data centre of The Commonwealth Bank of Australia is.

From outside, a glassy concrete/steel building, from inside no windows. Between me and ouside world, there was a 2m reinforced concrete wall. It was a bunker.

A jumbo that just took off with 130t of fuel could crash on it and no ATM or any bank service originating from that data centre would notice anything.

I was with IBM then and not restricted to be there every day or for the length of my employment but some of the "bankees" were complaining about lack of daylight. Some even left because of that.

With data centre people I had many lunches (a subsidised and good cafeteria on the premises, just join the table where they were). Good guys but not related to IT, just worked there as electicians, cables, patch panels. Patch panel guy was my friend, lunch with him actually counted as a meeting.

They could barely type, not their job. Let alone Unix, Oracle, no idea what is running around them.

Like this guy (picture from a Google data center):

I worked at a large data center in Arkansas, quite impressive.

I installed the electric switching (to batteries) system and the starting of the CAT diesel generators.

Looked like the picture above but I have seen thousands of motherboards secured to a wall in a server farm.

The server farm had no windows (near Seattle, WA).

The one in Arkansas looked like a big office building :dunno:

Archived