Grandson & Nephew

khunsanuk

Hi,

With all the emphasize on using specific words for family members stating whether they are older or younger, which side of the family, etc. I find it very odd that the words for grandson/nephew (หลานชาย) and granddaugher/niece (หลานสาว) are the same.

Figured at first I must be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time :) ), but my wife and daughter both confirmed that they are the same words.

Anyway, no real point to this post, just thought it weird :)

Sanuk!

Even in conversation I use Phi and Nong and even if I didn't I am sure that a guy 20 years my Junior was my nephew whereas a guy 40 years older was my grandfather. We may knock Thai mentality a little on this board but even they can recognize such.

Hi,

"We may knock Thai mentality a little on this board but even they can recognize such."

And if it is in writing talking about people you don't know?

And what if the grandson and nephew are similar in age?

Say for example, you meet a 60 year old guy and he points to a 20 year old guy telling you this is my 'หลานชาย'. How on earth would you be able to know if he meant grandson or nephew?

Sanuk!

Hi,

"It has to be understood from context - identical word."

Which is basically my point, as it may not always be possible. And what makes it stranger is that they have words for pretty much every possible other relation, going so far as "uncle who is an older brother of my father".

"But if you check the dictionaries, you'll probably find that the same word is used for a miscarriage and abortion. Seems like a world of difference to me!"

Didn't know about that one, and agree with you, pretty big difference.

Sanuk!

Perhaps in a cultural context they are the same. Thinking that old guy can refer to his grandson and nephew as the same since he does not differentiate between them on any level. The son of the son and the son of the brother being of equal status :dunno:

Archived