Hillman's 100 Wonders

Moo_Uan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention of the big pineapple in oz?

i think i've seen it? or am i thinking of the big banana on the road between Sydney and Brisbane?.

i would add the Blue Mountains in Australia,Katoomba and the 3 Sisters are a pleasant day out.

also the Black Hills in America,such a lot of history to be found and driving through the area while the sun sets is awesome.

Fairly predictable assembly -

10 Bali - who hasn't been there ? No hurry to go back - overrated and overcrowded.

35 Borobudur - yep - got the t-shirt. Er, hang on - that was Bogor ....

37 Hong Kong - ok for a single visit - wouldnt go back

13 Great Barrier Reef- lived right next to it for over 5 years - went there twice. Hot and boring.

14 Angkor Wat - too many tourists

93 Ayers Rock - its called 'Uluru', and its boring once you get there.

71 Li River Cruise - highly recommended even if too many tourists - Chinese and Gwailo

25 TerraCotta Warriors - they bought some of them to Oz - does that count ?

My only real travel fantasy is set in a different century, and I suspect that the 'romance' would disappear with the first case of scurvy. Or the first encounter with unfriendly locals. I'll stick to nightlife precincts and classy getaways like Chumphon.

Er, yeah - the big pineapple ...

250px-GiantPineappleNambour.jpg

Other biggies -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_Big_Things

All from a bygone era - only the seriously nerdy/old/simple or very young show a great deal of interest in these decaying relics now. Bit of a distraction on the loooong drives this country has in every direction, but I'd be much happier on Route 66.

Location 45 is not on, you have to be Muslim to enter Mecca, only on par with Medina for having checkpoints manned by Mutawa keeping non muslims out at all roads entering the city.

I was there twice in the 80's, you need special daypasses and need to be accompagnied by the famous religious police at all times.....

And of course I could not visit the highlights :)

BB

Archived