What Dog?

radioman

This matter has cropped up a couple of times for me but remains unresolved so thought I might as well ask here. I really do want a dog, I think. I understand and am very comfortable with all the needs a dog has and what owning a dog means though there are a few tweaks maybe. Said animal would reside in a smallish property, 150sqw, 2 pre-teen kids and a couple of wanna be adults, hopefully not a bad start. I travel, frequently, so it will not be just 'my' dog and will have certain responsibilities.

Were it not for the heat there would be no contest and I would without hesitation choose a Newfoundland though my understanding is that this aint gonna work in Thailand. Wondering what else might come close. Size is not everything here but some of the particular traits are, good with kids and people in general, easily trainable, by the time it's full grown I expect it to follow commands and be comfortable in public without needing a leash, and not need lots of exercise, Newfies are great swimmers but they're idle feckers too!

What would you choose?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

r641409263.jpg

boo-cutest-dog-ever-banned-In-hollywood-26-620x464.jpg

(yep, Boo is a real dog - no idea how they bred something to look like that, but I swear that is one happy dog. The 'experts' claim dogs dont smile, but that looks like a smile to me)

754.jpg

Temperament-wise, avoid anything with poodle in it - nasty little wretches - and Pekingese are similarly inclined to bite kids. Almost anything will bite your kids if they stick their fingers in its eye socket or something equally insane - its funny until your cattle dog tries to take your nephew's face off, trust me. Mum had the dog shot when it was the kid's fault - tough day all round.

072.jpg

In general, avoid anything that belongs on a farm - they have a herding instinct and quickly become bored as they grow without constant work.

Okay guys thanks for the input.

GD - Okay some cuties, seen worse hugging a chrome pole but I'm with MM here for the most part, them aint dogs so far as my thinking goes.

BAA99 & GD - Some good points and already considered for the most part, I would have a border collie but I know it would not get the work it needs to be happy and no, nothing that snaps.

Hi,

I guess another consideration is the size of the dog you want. If you will be taking it along on trips inside the country (as we often do), you might want to consider a small dog. If on the other hand it will stay home to guard the house, then of course a bigger dog would be preferable.

Will the dog be inside the house or outside?

BTW, there's sites around that will help you narrow things down:

http://www.selectsmart.com/DOG/

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

Sanuk!

Adopt a stray.

I got a lovely female from the Mahidol University Salaya campus dog shelter. The Thai street dogs are already adapted to the weather, plus the faculty of veterinary science hospital will neuter the dog at no charge. The dogs get a complete health checkup so no worries there either. Not sure, but I think the vet hospital will treat the dog for free (or a minimal charge) if she does get sick. I am fortunate in that I have a vet just 5 minutes down my soi, so it's a bit far to send her there.

BB, had boxers, lovely dogs, but not suited to the weather. Re saliva.. haha, now I know why they call those boxer doggy lips 'flews'. :drool::cover:

Definition here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/flews

I'm with Kwai, but dont let your kids see those photos of Boo - I guarantee you wont hear the end of 'Can we get one, dad, can we ? Puh-lease ?'

BTW, Boo is scheduled to release a book and video very soon - I'll keep you all posted. Between talk show appearances and looking at the other dog in the mirror, the little guy has a fairly full schedule.

Archived