What Dog?

radioman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with pets is they tie you down. You have to have someone look after them when you travel, and what do you do if you decided to leave Thailand? KS has no worry, but others may well have. Pets are somewhat like children. Don't have them if you are not going to take care of them.

Hi,

"The problem with pets is they tie you down."

I agree, although a benefit of a small dog is that you can easily take him along, which we often do. Visits upcountry to the family taking the dog is certainly not a problem, day trips it is usually fine as well and even many resorts have no problem if you have a small dog with you.

Obviously when traveling abroad we leave the dog home, with family taking care of the dog and house.

Sanuk!

I always befriended all of the soi dogs that lived in and around my apt in both bangkok and phuket. There is an amazing dynamic in that the alpha dog would always assert himself and make sure that he got his treat before any of the other dogs would even begin to attempt to line up for theirs. I love dogs and would love to have one, but I move so much that it would just not be the responsible thing to do.

The soi dogs provided me a great deal of entertainment when I was there; however, my first encounter wasn't a good one. I grew up being taught that one should never give a dog chicken bones as they would splinter and get caught in the dogs throat. My first food cart visit in thailand was interrupted by a young thai boy handing a eaten drumstick to a nearby soi dog...without thinking I approached the dog and tried to get the bone out of his mouth....OUCH! I caught a nice nip on the wrist. Live and learn....but from there on out it was great company and an added measure of security when milling about my neighborhood. Several times the soi dogs would rally around me and stave off characters that I did not desire an encounter with.

I would recommend to anyone living in Thailand that they get a box of dog biscuits and start making friends with the local soi dogs.

Edit: A beagle is a great small dog that has a big dog attitude.

" I grew up being taught that one should never give a dog chicken bones as they would splinter and get caught in the dogs throat. "

Yes I was always taught that, but on closer examination, this rule must be aimed at those who have the 'slipper' dogs, the very small, ones with small throats and delicate ways. My last two dogs, of medium build would dispose of chicken bones, even beef aitch bones, which they'd patiently grind away at. It was always a surprise to see a dog turd, the next day, that was compose entirely of small chips of bone.

Mind you, my dogs, though wusses, were bred as pig dogs, they just never got over the 'run away' instinct.

Archived