What Dog?

radioman

This matter has cropped up a couple of times for me but remains unresolved so thought I might as well ask here. I really do want a dog, I think. I understand and am very comfortable with all the needs a dog has and what owning a dog means though there are a few tweaks maybe. Said animal would reside in a smallish property, 150sqw, 2 pre-teen kids and a couple of wanna be adults, hopefully not a bad start. I travel, frequently, so it will not be just 'my' dog and will have certain responsibilities.

Were it not for the heat there would be no contest and I would without hesitation choose a Newfoundland though my understanding is that this aint gonna work in Thailand. Wondering what else might come close. Size is not everything here but some of the particular traits are, good with kids and people in general, easily trainable, by the time it's full grown I expect it to follow commands and be comfortable in public without needing a leash, and not need lots of exercise, Newfies are great swimmers but they're idle feckers too!

What would you choose?

Rhodesian Ridgeback would be my choice if I had my druthers, was wanting a full sized dog with brains and as a family AND guard dog. Short haired and low maintenance for the Thai climate. I also like Boxers as well yet they do have drool problems. They are bred and sold in Thailand as well.

"Appearance and Size

Handsome and dignified, the Rhodesian ridgeback is a regal looking dog. The head is flat and broad with round sparkling eyes that gives the dog an intelligent expression. The eyes should blend with the color of the nose. If the nose is black, the eyes are dark. If the nose is brown, the eyes are amber. The ears are medium in size and set high on the skull. The base is wide and tapers to a rounded point. The muzzle is long and powerful.

The body of the ridgeback is strong and powerful with a deep chest. The tail is tapered with a slight upward curve. The tail should not be curly nor be carried high. The hair coat is short and glossy and ranges in color from light wheaten to dark red. Some white may be present on the chest and toes.

The most distinctive feature of the Rhodesian ridgeback is their ridge. It is a ridge of hair along the back that grows in the opposite direction to the rest of the hair coat. The ridge begins just behind the shoulders and continues to a point at the level of the hips. At the beginning of the ridge, two symmetrical whorls (called crowns) lie directly opposite each other. This results in a broader ridge at the top. As the ridge continues down the back, it narrows until it tapers at the level of the hips.

The ridgeback stands 24 to 27 inches at the shoulder and weighs 70 to 85 pounds.

Personality

The Rhodesian ridgeback is a clean dog that is considered low maintenance. The breed is usually friendly toward family and friends but does not really care for strangers.

The ridgeback is a strong and powerful dog that enjoys activity and has great endurance. He is a strong willed dog that often stands his ground, and it is very important that he understands that his owners are the dominant members of the family. Timid people or ones that tend to allow the dog to rule the house should consider a different breed.

Home and Family Relations

A devoted and loyal dog to his family, the ridgeback can be aloof and possibly aggressive toward strangers. Even though he is a large dog and loves running around a secured yard, this breed enjoys the indoor life. Clean and quiet, the ridgeback is a remarkably ideal house dog.

When taken outside, the ridgeback should be leashed or kept in a secure yard with a tall fence since some dogs are not too fond of strangers.

Training

A natural protector, the ridgeback doesn't need much training to be a good watchdog and guard dog but training in protection work is not recommended. An aggressive ridgeback can be difficult to control.

Obedience training is strongly recommended and should begin when the dog is a pup. Training should continue until the dog is a young adult. Their naturally dominant personality requires a firm handler. Early socialization is also paramount.

Grooming

The Rhodesian ridgeback requires minimal grooming. Periodic brushing will keep his coat clean and shiny.

Special Care

The ridgeback is an intelligent breed that requires plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to prevent boredom. Be aware that a bored ridgeback is a very destructive ridgeback. In addition, the breed's natural dominant personality requires a firm and assertive owner. Early and consistent obedience training is crucial to prevent aggressive tendencies. Training should continue throughout adolescence."

RhodesianRidgeback1.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely no way that a dog like that belongs in an urban environment. What's your next choice - the man-eating Maremma ? :banghead:

Btw, Gobbie, my other choices would be boxers, or even dobermans. Boxers are bred here nearby in Surin. I knew a man here who had two and they did fine. Also have seen dobermans here that seem to do well as well with the climate. A man in a nearby village to ours has two, one a truly big Dobie, massive really, guarding his shop and home. They seem healthy and happy enough. Both the Boxer and the Doberman have very short coats and the heat doesn't seem to bother them much. I did once see a St. Bernard here in Surin. He was shaved to a short coat, but hardly the dog for the tropics really. I also had a friend who had an English Bulldog in Bangkok. He had a large yard and house. The Bulldog did fine there.

Absolutely no way that a dog like that belongs in an urban environment. What's your next choice - the man-eating Maremma ? :banghead:

'Suburban' would be fine if you have the time to take care of your dog (no, not good for an urban environment such as Bangkok really unless you have access to some land where the dog can run and exercise). This dog does fine if it has someone who will walk it daily for an hour and bring it to somewhere with some space to run around in. They are great family dogs, good watch dogs, and big enough to scare off the bad people trying to do you harm and steal your stuff. With proper training, care and consideration of their needs they do fine. Not an apartment/condo dog for sure.

The Maremma has way too thick a coat of fur for the tropics. :-) Man-eater? Thought it was a sheepdog!?

I am amazed how many huskies and labradors are kept in our neighborhood in thailand. aren't those dogs suffering in the hot climate?

Supposedly there is a breed that was once used as a royal guard dog here in Thailand many years ago. It looks exactly like a 'Huskie' or Malamute, though completely white, with bright blue siamese cat style eyes, amazingly blue eyes. Saw one once and thought it was a husky, but was told by Thais that it is an old Thai breed of royal watchdog. Never saw one before (or since) or had ever heard of this breed. Still want to know the name of this dog type. Was a gorgeous, intelligent and alert dog. I saw it in Korat playing with some kids on a sidewalk while waiting for my wife once while she was in a store. It's hair was shorter than the Huskie or Malamute, but strikingly similar in all other aspects. Anyone know of or have heard of this Thai dog? It was one of the best looking mid sized dogs I have ever seen in Thailand. Very strong looking (around 70 pounds weight as a guess), handsome lines, very alert and seemingly quite intelligent. It didn't have the ridegeback hair ridge. I called it over to my truck with a whistle and he came right over, stuck his head in the window and checked me out. If I knew what it was and who bred these I would buy one in a minute.

(Doing a search I found a name for this Thai 'huskie'... the thai husky type is a bangkhew or something close to that. Anyone know of this dog breed?)

A friend of mine has a white German Shepherd - apparently the "white" gene was once seen as a defect so it was attempted to breed them out but they are going strong now. His does look a lot like a Husky (to someone uneducated in dog breeds like myself) but the hair is shorter (same hair as a normal German Shepherd but white.)

That could be the breed the Thais used. White would be good at repelling heat.

Supposedly there is a breed that was once used as a royal guard dog here in Thailand many years ago. It looks exactly like a 'Huskie' or Malamute, though completely white, with bright blue siamese cat style eyes, amazingly blue eyes. Saw one once and thought it was a husky, but was told by Thais that it is an old Thai breed of royal watchdog. Never saw one before (or since) or had ever heard of this breed. Still want to know the name of this dog type. Was a gorgeous, intelligent and alert dog. I saw it in Korat playing with some kids on a sidewalk while waiting for my wife once while she was in a store. It's hair was shorter than the Huskie or Malamute, but strikingly similar in all other aspects. Anyone know of or have heard of this Thai dog? It was one of the best looking mid sized dogs I have ever seen in Thailand. Very strong looking (around 70 pounds weight as a guess), handsome lines, very alert and seemingly quite intelligent. It didn't have the ridegeback hair ridge. I called it over to my truck with a whistle and he came right over, stuck his head in the window and checked me out. If I knew what it was and who bred these I would buy one in a minute.

(Doing a search I found a name for this Thai 'huskie'... the thai husky type is a bangkhew or something close to that. Anyone know of this dog breed?)

Hmmmm, very interesting Thai breed. According to DNA testing it is a dog/jackal mix?!! Never heard of that before!

------------

Thai Bangkaew Dog

Nicknames - TBD, Bangkaew

Country of origin - Thailand

Dog (Canis lupus familiaris)

The Thai Bangkaew Dog is an Asian dog breed. It is a medium-sized Spitz-type dog.

Contents

Appearance

The Thai Bangkaew Dog is compactly built and square in profile. It is well proportioned, with a smooth gait. The double coat consists of a short undercoat, with longer guard hairs growing through it forming the outer coat. The coat is thicker and longer around the neck, chest, and back forming a lion-like ruff, which is more noticeable on dogs than on bitches. The plumed tail is carried with moderate upward curve over the back. The TBD comes in white with shades of red, gray, brown, and black in a wide variety of patterns.

History

Bangkaew is a village located in the Bang Rakam District, Phitsanulok Province in the central region of Thailand. In this district, near the Yom River, there is a monastery called Wat Bangkaew where it is believed that Thai Bangkaew Dogs originated.

Legend has it that the third abbot of Wat Bangkaew Temple, the respected Luang Puh Maak Metharee, was known for mercy and care given to all living things. An old Bangkaew villager named Tah Nim gave the abbot a native bitch. Because she was pregnant without any dog in the area, her mating was thought to be either a jackal or a dhole lived in the surrounding forest. A chromosome study of Thai Bangkaew dog confirmed that the breed is the result of domestic dog and jackal interbreed. The resulting litter produced longhaired puppies of black and dark brown coloration. Luang Puh Maak Metharee raised the resulting puppies, four females.

Seasonal rain produced flooding, a natural barrier that excluded other dogs from contributing to the gene pool. The inbreedings that took place led to the creation of the purebred Thai Bangkaew Dogs. From then on the breed has been selectively bred and has become one of the most favored varieties of Thai dogs.

Health and Temperament

Thai Bangkaew Dogs are alert and watchful, protective of home and family. Bangkaew are devoted to their masters but can be aloof with strangers. Agile and active, they are strong swimmers and voracious diggers. They are highly intelligent but can be stubborn and benefit from training. Positive reinforcement methods work best with this breed

Hmmmm, very interesting Thai breed. According to DNA testing it is a dog/jackal mix?!! Never heard of that before!

------------

Thai Bangkaew Dog

Nicknames - TBD, Bangkaew

Country of origin - Thailand

Dog (Canis lupus familiaris)

The Thai Bangkaew Dog is an Asian dog breed. It is a medium-sized Spitz-type dog.

Contents

Appearance

The Thai Bangkaew Dog is compactly built and square in profile. It is well proportioned, with a smooth gait. The double coat consists of a short undercoat, with longer guard hairs growing through it forming the outer coat. The coat is thicker and longer around the neck, chest, and back forming a lion-like ruff, which is more noticeable on dogs than on bitches. The plumed tail is carried with moderate upward curve over the back. The TBD comes in white with shades of red, gray, brown, and black in a wide variety of patterns.

History

Bangkaew is a village located in the Bang Rakam District, Phitsanulok Province in the central region of Thailand. In this district, near the Yom River, there is a monastery called Wat Bangkaew where it is believed that Thai Bangkaew Dogs originated.

Legend has it that the third abbot of Wat Bangkaew Temple, the respected Luang Puh Maak Metharee, was known for mercy and care given to all living things. An old Bangkaew villager named Tah Nim gave the abbot a native bitch. Because she was pregnant without any dog in the area, her mating was thought to be either a jackal or a dhole lived in the surrounding forest. A chromosome study of Thai Bangkaew dog confirmed that the breed is the result of domestic dog and jackal interbreed. The resulting litter produced longhaired puppies of black and dark brown coloration. Luang Puh Maak Metharee raised the resulting puppies, four females.

Seasonal rain produced flooding, a natural barrier that excluded other dogs from contributing to the gene pool. The inbreedings that took place led to the creation of the purebred Thai Bangkaew Dogs. From then on the breed has been selectively bred and has become one of the most favored varieties of Thai dogs.

Health and Temperament

Thai Bangkaew Dogs are alert and watchful, protective of home and family. Bangkaew are devoted to their masters but can be aloof with strangers. Agile and active, they are strong swimmers and voracious diggers. They are highly intelligent but can be stubborn and benefit from training. Positive reinforcement methods work best with this breed

OK, did the google search and found that breed name for this dog (an approximation actually that popped the true name spelling) over on TV. Googled more and found a good pic of the breed and even breeders here in Thailand for the dogs. The one I saw was completely white, but it seems they come in a few colors and patterns as well. Here's a pic that looks very close to the one I saw. They say the males have more hair than the bitches, a sort of ruff/lion's mane look and more back hair.

ThaiBangkaewdogTaro222.jpg

A friend of mine has a white German Shepherd - apparently the "white" gene was once seen as a defect so it was attempted to breed them out but they are going strong now. His does look a lot like a Husky (to someone uneducated in dog breeds like myself) but the hair is shorter (same hair as a normal German Shepherd but white.)

That could be the breed the Thais used. White would be good at repelling heat.

RB,

No, it definitely wasn't a white haired German Shepard. Thanks for the reply though. Seems this is a Thai breed, as I have found out. Wouldn't mind one myself. I do think if one wanted a guard dog this would be a good one... and native to the region as well. Thai Bangkaew Dog. See above posts and pic.

Archived