Buying Booze In Shops

The_Munchmaster

It's very rare that I buy alcohol from shops in LOS (I buy more than enough from bars and restaurants!) and was aware of the ban on afternoon buying (2-4 or 2-5 I think). However I notice now that buying alcohol in shops is also banned from midnight to 11am! Is this new as I bought some Heinekens from 7-11 last week, and I am absolutely sure it was well after midnight, yet this week when I went to do the same thing the alcohol was covered and there was a sign up advising no alcohol sales between 12pm and 11am.

Not new, came in at the same time as the 2-5 sales ban was imposed.

The sales ban is not a law on the constitutional books but is a reenactment of an old Marshall Law act, many mom / pop shops totally ignore this rule, but 7-11 and Familymart adhere to it strictly since they have computerized tills at POS that record product and sales time.

The rule only applies to personal use amounts, Ironically I could not go to 7-11 and buy a bottle of Vodka after Midnight but it is OK to purchase a case.

It's very rare that I buy alcohol from shops in LOS (I buy more than enough from bars and restaurants!) and was aware of the ban on afternoon buying (2-4 or 2-5 I think). However I notice now that buying alcohol in shops is also banned from midnight to 11am! Is this new as I bought some Heinekens from 7-11 last week, and I am absolutely sure it was well after midnight, yet this week when I went to do the same thing the alcohol was covered and there was a sign up advising no alcohol sales between 12pm and 11am.

new one on me.

i've never known a 7-11 or familymart on Phuket to not sell alcohol 24 Hours a Day if they are open.

new one on me.

i've never known a 7-11 or familymart on Phuket to not sell alcohol 24 Hours a Day if they are open.

The whole concept of 7-11 or familymart is that they are open 24 hours / day 365 Days / year, it is a clause in the franchise agreement.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that Phuket now has the same special autonomous system that Pattaya has enjoyed since 1978, under which the Mayor can over rule central government on local issues such has licensing act, I may be wrong (hey I often am) anyone care to confirm or reject my assumption?

Personally I think the ruling (I won't call it Law since it isn't) is a Joke, I am sure many BM's have left a Bar after midnight with a long time in tow and stopped off at 7-11 en route for Condoms, Seaweed or Squid Snack, a couple of bottles of beer and a couple of Bacardi Breezers for the nights company, not exactly a great threat to National Security is it. The Irony is they play the "Prostitution is illegal in Thailand" Card whilst willing allowing stores to sell you condoms thereby condoning it, yet restrict the sales of Alcohol to certain hours "Unless Bought in Bulk", how many of your average Thai's could afford to buy in Bulk, not many I guess.

The politicians impose an old decree which not only hurts your average man and woman but also has a negative effect on Tourism (for alcoholics) whilst they themselves can cruise up to 7-11 in their Benz at 1 AM and order a case of JW Black, OH, and a packet of condoms I may stop off at Poseiden on the way home but not before 2-3 hours with Mia Noi first, your average Thai is being restricted to when or when not he is allowed to purchase alcohol for his or hers own personal consumption.

Strange place here, but I still like it.

as Mekong mentioned you can purchase in bulk 24 hours a day, minimum 10 liters i believe (4 liter liquor plus 6 liter beer is ok). have done this a couple of times...

"many mom / pop shops totally ignore this rule"

Yup, and during the 'off hours' in the boonies, if buying small quantities of liquor, this is the way to go... Mom & Pop style stores who mostly ingnore these bullshit 'laws'. If trying to buy in the Makro or other large chain stores you need to buy in quantity ... than it is no problem. Stupid laws and rules, but easy enough to get around usually here in Surin at least.

new one on me.

That's because Phuket is full of criminals and scumbags. And lowlife Police who get enough tea money to turn a blind eye to their antics. Pattaya has a much better class of dirtbag, and convenience stores which care about the health of their patrons.

Convenience stores in both BKK and Pataya had padlocks on their booze fridges in Feb 2012, to the point where the girl standing right next to the fridge pointed to the clock as I stood there despairingly at 4:55pm - they have obviously had it drummed into them that even 5 minutes could get them in the shit. I dont normally need alcohol at that hour, but the hangover I was grappling with seemed impervious to everything other than 'hair of the dog' .....

(havent had a single alcoholic beverage since I got back at the end of Feb, fwiw)

Archived