Isaan's 90-Degree Triangle ...

gobbledonk

1. Take a map of Isaan showing the provincial boundaries

2. Draw a straight line from the bottom of Buriram up to the top of Udon Thani - Nong Khai, or thereabouts

3. Now draw a second line from your 'Nong Khai' point down to Udon Ratchathani

4. Finally, connect that point to your original start point in Buriram.

That's great, Gobble, I hear you cry - you've just taken out the vast majority of Isaan. My point is this - of all the people you have met in BKK/Patts etc who come from Isaan, how many originate from the following provinces ?

Loei, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Nong Bua Lamphu, Chalyaphum

I dont know what their respective populations are compared to my triangle, but compare whatever rough numbers you have for the above with these provinces:

Buriram, Surin, Sri Saket, Udon (pick one ..), Roi Et, Kalasin, Khon Kaen

At one stage I thought those provinces WERE 'Isaan' - 'Bulilam' and Surin seemed to exist for little other than breeding girls for the bar industry down south .... (they can pronounce 'Surin' with a hard 'r' but not 'Buriram' - wtf ?)

Of course, I dont have the breadth of experience that many here have, and I'm sure someone will tell me that they have met thousands of girls/taxi drivers and street vendors (!) from the other provinces. The other gaping hole in my pathetic excuse for a theory is the province sitting right in the middle of my 'golden triangle' - Maha Sarakham - but I've already added it to my itinerary. I just have to see what goes on in a part of Thailand I didnt even know existed. :clown:

In any case, I know I'm onto something here. Stay tuned.

Also had (semi) regulars in the past from Loei, Sakhon Nakhon and Mukdahan. Memories :hubbahubba:

I've travelled those roads a lot over the years, grubby little one horse/buffalo towns scattered across a wasteland of nothing. You're not missing anything.

Sigh - I suspect that radioman has unravelled the 'mystery', and its not so mysterious when I think about the wasteland between, for example, Hua Hin and Chumphon at the other end of the country. Bit naive of me to assume that every province has a Udon Thani sized city lurking within its borders.

I cant say that I found Udon Thani particularly fascinating, but that was before I went to Vientiane. Khon Kaen sounds a little more attractive - university town etc - but that's pure speculation. It may well be that younger people from neighbouring provinces are drawn to the provincial capitals before they consider BKK - it certainly happens in my corner of Redneck Hell.

(and I dont know the answer to the Udon/Ubon thing - isnt 'Ubon' the southernmost 'Udon' ?)

I actually know quite a few people from:

Loei, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Mukdahan

And virtually no one from Sisaket, Kalasin and Roi Et .....

Am I jinxed?

I guess we just travel in different circles. Hard to believe you have never met anyone from Roi Et, though .... just take a wander down Soi 4 sometime. They could run a minibus charter straight out of the Soi - Buriram, Surin, Roi Et and back to Soi 4 - and I reckon it would turn a profit. Throw in an orientation tour of the bars (nudge-nudge) for the new arrivals and a free English lesson - damn, I might just have stumbled on a business opportunity .....

No, you need to meet some taxi drivers.

Ok, its not standard conversation fare, but on the BKK-Patts drives I often ask them where they are from - its usually one of the provinces I highlighted above. Even the ladyboys seem to come from the same provinces - just go to the Robinson's in Udon Thani for confirmation .....

well, I have been in almost all provinces in Isaan and I always found it fascinating...maybe a bit less than Northern- and Southern Thailand and the Central provinces.

I have probably also done BG from all provinces, some I can remember where they were from (one from Nong Bua Lamphu comes to mind, which was 15 years ago), legions I forgot from where they are. Sometimes the majority of the BG in a certain bar come from the same province (where the owner comes from). I recall one in WS where over a period of over 10 years, most BG came from Roi Et and there is one bar (or actually more than one) in SC, where the majority comes from Kalasin

Archived