The Four Floors ........

StoneSoup

I wonder how many mongers saw the headline, and chuckled to themselves:

Coming soon - to Ratchaprasong

The best case of "allusional mis-step" that I ever saw in the Thai press meant nothing to me until an Aussie friend picked himself off the floor after laughing himself half to death, and explained. This was in relation to some real news item about something happening to a wombat at a Thai zoo. The article - which obviously contained some "background" info that had been provided by an Aussie adviser - included a line to the effect:

"A wombat is a small mammal that eats roots and leaves....."

For non-Ausies, in Aussie slang, "a wombat" refers to an "insensitive" guy who visits a girl and just "eats her food, then roots her, and then leaves".

Cheers!

SS

It was funny when I was growing up, but we've worked hard to distance ourselves from our Ocker past. I actually cringe when I see the 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie - Oi, Oi, Oi !' chant being belted out on TV. As a co-worker said to me years ago, Pom football fans have complete songbooks and we have 'Oi Oi Oi !' ..........

Getting back to the article, I actually prefer BKK's shopping precincts to Orchard Road - there is no Skytrain in Singapore and the road isnt as flat as inner Bangkok. You find yourself staggering from one end to the other in high humidity wondering where the supposed 'bargains' are - I like Sillypore, for about a day - then I want to get out. Even KL's shopping madness somehow seems more 'authentic', even if the names on the boutiques are identical to those on Orchard Road.

Sillypore is getting so expensive, I was there last week, it can be cheap if you eat like a local, but go out to drink and it soon gets crazy.

Hotels are mad, not very nice, rooms even in good ones are on the small side.

However some great gems around the place, I had a pretty wild time this trip. It's still a place of good fun if your willing to go out, but that can be expensive. VERY expensive. On the other hand you can also find some fun girls just wanting fun, at least I did.

Sillypore is getting so expensive, I was there last week, it can be cheap if you eat like a local, but go out to drink and it soon gets crazy.

agree

hotel rates have increased a lot during last years; you can hardly get any reasonable hotel room anymore below 200 SGD even outside the city center!

Archived