What To Buy? Advice Sought.

Flashermac

I am getting extremely pissed off with my PC these days. The geniuses in the local computer shop "fixed" it, so now it is even worse. It has started rebooting whenever the fark it feels like it, plus my mouse is periodically held hostage. So do I buy another PC, or do I gamble on an Apple? I've always prefered a PC, but right now I am about ready to throw the effing thing into a klong and give the Apple a try. Every time the Thais repair it, it ends up worse than it was.

Just thinking about it so far. But could the Thai "repairmen" bugger up an Apple even more? :p

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I personally would likely not ever buy a Mac, but no doubt those who have Macs will pipe up saying that is exactly what you should do :)

Anyway, maybe you can point yourself in the right direction by answering these questions?

- Are there any applications you use that are only available on Windows? If so, a Mac would likely not the best choice (and yes, I am aware you can run Windows on a Mac, but would it be worth it to Flash?)

- How heavy of a user are you?

- Do you intent to take the computer with you? If so, maybe you'd be better off with a laptop (PC or Mac).

- How much can you afford? Macs tend to be quite a bit more expensive.

- How used are you to Windows and do you think you could quickly adapt to a different OS?

- Do you even need a computer? What I mean is if all you do is browse the net and read email, then perhaps a tablet would be the better option.

Sanuk!

In the 1980s the Thais made a version of the Apple IIe. It was called a Mango. Ironically, it had features a genuine Mac didn't have. :)

I am reluctant to buy an Apple myself, since I know it doesn't use a lot of programs. I expect I'll stick with a PC, but the problems I get here are extremely frustrating.

The shop also loaded the ESET antivirus program. The farking thing will not let me download a lot of programs I try to, telling me they are viruses - even thought they are legit programs with very high ratings! I think it is time to dump ESET and load another antivirus program. :p

Hi,

ESET antivirus? Never heard of it.

I would never allow a computer shop to pre-install software for me. Clean harddisk only, which I'll format and install whatever I want onto it.

Fuck knows what kind of crap has been pre-installed. I wouldn't even be surprised if that is the cause - or at least part - of your problems.

Sanuk!

In the 1980s the Thais made a version of the Apple IIe. It was called a Mango. Ironically, it had features a genuine Mac didn't have. :)

I am reluctant to buy an Apple myself, since I know it doesn't use a lot of programs. I expect I'll stick with a PC, but the problems I get here are extremely frustrating.

The shop also loaded the ESET antivirus program. The farking thing will not let me download a lot of programs I try to, telling me they are viruses - even thought they are legit programs with very high ratings! I think it is time to dump ESET and load another antivirus program. :p

In regard to software almost all standards programs are available for Macs now.

In regard to hardware, it's usually upper class with a high customer satisfaction (low number of failures, good service in case of problems).

Macs have a disadvantage, when specialized software is needed or if you are gamer.

Otherwise I do not see any disadvantage for the common PC user - except the premium price for Apple PCs and notebooks of course. And Macs have many big advantages like beeing extremely easy to use, (still) nearly no malware, very easy to connect to networks and any other Apple devices. Also the preinstalled Macsoftware like Apple Mail, Addressbook, iPhoto, iMovie make the purchase of additional software obsolete. Only a good wordprocessor is need for the start.

Anyway, if the price is of major concern go for a Windows PC.

You may have 2 antivirus programs running! Disable that ESET program and see if that fixes the frozen mouse.

Run memtest overnight.

I always make a point of buying the most top-specced PC I can afford - Technology advances so quickly these days that I don't want to buy something that it out of date before I get it out of the shop.

Which is what I do with Macs. That and an advantage of apple is that once the learning curve from PC to Mac (not hard) is accomplished, you wonder why you put up with windows foibles...

Archived