Nana Vs. Soi Cowboy. The Old Question

Gadfly

only ever been to NEP and SC in 2005 and did'nt really like either.

overcrowded,overpriced full of people who hassled me a lot of the time.

give me a small place to sit in and interact and i'm much happier.

Actually I like SC, but only went a few times to Nana. But I am not a bar hopper anyway. I tend to visit places I know and were I know some people and this was and is at SC. For many years Tilac was a kind of home bar, but their "fully clothed BG" policy is getting boring.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I like SC, but only went a few times to Nana. But I am not a bar hopper anyway. I tend to visit places I know and were I know some people and this was and is at SC. For many years Tilac was a kind of home bar, but their "fully clothed BG" policy is getting boring.

i will admit SC was a rather good night out as i was with certain members of this Board and i was looked after.

i did enjoy Afterskool............ :hubbahubba:

but NEC is just so in your face and not for me,as i say a quiet bar out of the way is good for me.

I find both 'in-your-face', but Cowboy has nastier touts. Stick makes a point of publishing complaints from his nancyboy readers about how 'tragic' Soi 4 has become since they had their Boy Scout jamboree there in the early 90s, but I don't remember it being any other way. You can either slide into the slime or rise above it - some of these princesses need to see the inside of a hardcore 'local prices' brothel in a city like Jakarta - cant imagine the Thai version being a whole lot better. Nana Hotel is 5-Star all the way after an experience like that. I know I'm not a hardcore monger - if I was, I would have been on the next plane to Surabaya to see if I could find something even cheaper and nastier. One thing to be a Cheap Charlie - another to leave your soul on the dirt floor of a third-world whorehouse.

I think soi 4 has changed significantly in the last 15 years, yes the basics are still just the same but it seems a lot edgier now. It seems bigger now as well going down past the Raja where as once it seemed to stop around about where Bus stop is. I also sense a different sort of crowd around Nana, once it was predominantly Caucasian men in their 30's and up (remember seeing a guy with zimmer frame and oxygen bottle going into rainbow one night, left a short while later with two absolute crackerjack chicks. I guess his 'nurse' pay was substantial!) Now it seems much more cosmopolitan and whilst that takes some of the icing off for me personally I guess the businesses could care less. I don't think it's going away in a hurry.

Cowboy is another mixed bag, arab bars(tard), don't go out coyotes, Jap bars and Jap hunting girls, clip joints, well I think it's always been that way. Tilac is probably the benchmark for a lot just because... As for the dress code, open your eyes, they might have a semblance of a skirt and top but there aint nowt else and they are very accessible. Yeah they have coyotes there too, ugh!

It's Bangkok, city of squalor, whaddya want?

Patts is nice and I enjoy a couple of nights there going mental but no way could I live there, even downtown BKK is too much for me these days. Suburban Bangkok suits me, easy access to the grimy underbelly as and when, far enough out to wake with green fields, birdsong and fresh coffee the only obvious smell.

• 4 months later...

I have been enjoying NEP a lot lately. More bars, more girls and not too much hassle for lady drinks. Billboard is always a good time for some drinks and watching the show or the hot tub girls!

Cowboy just doesn't offer this much fun. And I'm not even talking about the Arab bars! Although I think they get a exaggerated bad rap. Yes the drinks are over priced, but they have cute girls. You just have to ask which ones are bar fineable. The coyotes will go with you but they are selective and you have to wait until close or get to know them and take them on a day off. If you live here it's no too hard to get to know a coyote.

That being said, I still prefer the bars in NEP.

Archived