Decline Of Stickman?

pai mei

Read him sometimes. Intelligent chap. Some articles illuminating, some not. There is a decline of late, especially with his interviews. This weeks was with Tim Shark of Pattaya. Link

Remembered this guy from a news article a few months back in which he stabbed a (much smaller and unarmed) Canadian schoolteacher on the beach. And eventually bought his way out of it and bragged as much on his facebook page. There were a few threads on this guy on other forums, portrayed a fairly abusive character.

His facebook page, now taken down, posted the photos of several dozen bar girls and ladyboys who he had pose with him before he banged them then added to his wall of fame.

None of this is mentioned by stick btw, and the whole interview is bubble gum and fluff. No tough questions, but there a glamorizing of this character. Why?

News article on good ol Shark of Pattaya from March, 2012:

Link

""Angry Kiwi Beefcake Stabs Canadian English Teacher In Pattaya

A big, tattoed new Zealander stabbed a Canadian English teacher resulting in blodshed at the South Pattaya beach road before running off and hiding in his rented room. The Kiwi man claimed that it was a revenge because the victim and his friends had insulted him.

PATTAYA – March 11, 2012 [PDN]; Pol.Lt.Capt.Pallop Ringrod, Pattaya police station Chonburi, was notified that, a foreigner was stabbed on South Pattaya beach, opposite Royal Garden Pattaya department store.

At the crime scene the victim, Mr.Shaun Ohonny, age 43 years a Canadian teacher was found with a deep knife wound in his left lower arm. The rescue team provided first aid for him and sent him to the hospital.

The Canadian told the police that, he had been chatting with his friends on the beach. Suddenly a big man with body tattoos insultulted the Canadian. A quarrel broke out and the tattoeed man stabbed the Canadian and ran away.

The witnesses said that, the tattooed beefcake often walked on the beach quarreled and threatened the tourists..."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick has said many times that he prefers the path of least confrontation in LOS, particularly vis a vis Thais. Assuming that he knows all about the Shark's reputation, do you really think he is going to do a hard hitting interview with him sitting across from the Shark? Maybe, he should have conducted the interview with the American military man that he used on his quest to find Gault.If you think of Stick as the Larry King of LOS, you won't have any problems with his interviews.

Stick has said many times that he prefers the path of least confrontation in LOS, particularly vis a vis Thais. Assuming that he knows all about the Shark's reputation, do you really think he is going to do a hard hitting interview with him sitting across from the Shark?

Makes sense. I actually edited and toned down my original post thinking along the same lines (it's a small country, to what extent do you really want to publicly attack people).

Was just disappointed to see this particular piece. Erodes my own image of stickman as the straight shooter telling the 'real' story. For the most part I like Stick. Will heed your Larry King advice. :)

Makes sense. I actually edited and toned down my original post thinking along the same lines (it's a small country, to what extent do you really want to publicly attack people).

Was just disappointed to see this particular piece. Erodes my own image of stickman as the straight shooter telling the 'real' story. For the most part I like Stick. Will heed your Larry King advice. :)

There was an interview with Jake Needham a few months back that was really unprofessionally handled by Stick. Needham portrays himself as a film industry veteran producer, which is a lie. Stick knows it's not true but lets him say whatever he wants without any question. They're not 'interviews' as we understand the word, more like PR pieces. Stick doesn't pretend to be a journalist of any kind, doesn't make any claims to journalistic integrity. For my money, he doesn't respect his audience. Lets his interviewees lie, chooses not to call them on it. I stopped reading as a result.

There is a decline of late, especially with his interviews.

I believe Stick just wanted to let him talk and show a strange person as kind of an entertainment . When I did study law several centuries ago we did interviews with about 30 inmates in Cologne prison . They all talk along the same line : I am big , I know it all and outside I have a lot of money .

Lets forget the subject of the interview - my own theory goes a lot like this :

- Stick makes no secret that he is heartily sick of covering the nightlife precincts - hence pieces on travel to SVN and Cambo

- Stick still has to make advertisers and readers happy

- Stick undoubtedly gets emails from various people suggesting that they would make interesting interview subjects -

Easy to piss people off, and probably a perversely enjoyable interview to publish, but he now has a clear reason to go back to pictorials of Thais living normal lives in various parts of LOS.

I would also note that our Shark friend worked very hard to subscribe to Stickman's jaded view of Pattaya (and Thais in general), but got a little off message when he started going on about how his '300-baht beach girls' were fantastic human beings who bought him food while he was in jail. Stick could probably have written that interview without leaving his condo, but I guess some people get off walking around Pattaya with someone who clearly wants to intimidate those around him.

Archived