Decline Of Stickman?

pai mei

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He DOES publish criticism, but he DOES NOT necessarily respond to said criticism - personally, I dont have a problem with that. I would, however, prefer to see opening pieces on Thailand and the Thai people - you can find a 'Mr Shark' in every major population centre on earth. There is another thread like this on the pattayafree forum - if anything, the response there is even more negative as people seem to have more of Shark's backstory. Its all grist for the mill, but I much prefer the Vietnam stories from previous weeks.

Yeah but it's misleading. What he'll let through is what he's comfortable with. Anything meaty won't make it to the site. So to put criticism up like that is actually deceptive, it gives the impression that he allows criticism, but he's really hand picking what he allows to appear and what not. What he won't do is allow any open comment or participate in a 2-way discussion about any of these more difficult issues. That's what he just did here. He posted his statement (which really evaded the real substance of what we were discussing) and left without responding to a single counter point or question.

I think my problem with Stick now is that in his column, he plays the role of the no-nonsense reporter with integrity (which I must admit, I bought into). He's the guy who will go into dangerous red-shirt protest areas late at night to get photos. He'll expose street scams and sleazy bar practices. He supposedly calls it like he sees it, tells the hard truth.

But in these interviews he does, it's a whole different person asking the questions, one with no sense of curiosity or insistence on truth whatsoever. If someone he's impressed by who is sitting there, he turns into this mouse who can't even do the most obvious follow-up questions.

In the Needham interview, JN says something about how he won't allow his books to be sold in the North Americas. Reading that, I thought "Gee that sounds kind of strange -- I wonder why not -- seems like there must be some kind of story there" -- Stick just lets it go, no question at all. I guess that's normal, just the way it is, most writers don't want their books sold in the Americas.

But what's worse, I think he knows the whole "ex-Hollywood player" spiel was bogus then and there, and just let JN blow his load at his readers. Which is similar to what the Shark piece was too. It's blatantly obvious to almost anyone reading that Shark's a buffoon though, so for that reason that one irritates me less. I do believe that what was happening there in the JN piece was that he was doing his friend a favor, giving him carte blanche to tell as tall a tale as he wanted. But to do that is to disrespect his readers in favor of his friend. He doesn't seem to get that if he loses his readers' trust, he'll lose his readers.

If he knows that interview is full of whoppers, as he kind of sort of acknowledged here in his post, the correct thing to do is to publish a retraction or disclaimer. Add a note to the bottom of the interview mentoining that the facts contained herein did not match reality as most of us know it, which was pointed out by some readers. That's what websites concerned about their credibility would do.

"JAKE NEEDHAM is an American screen and television writer who began writing crime novels when he realized he didn't really like movies and television very much.

He is a lawyer by education. Prior to becoming a screenwriter through a series of accidents too ridiculous to be believed, he held a number of significant positions in both the pubic and private sectors where he took part in a lengthy list of international operations he has no intention of telling you about. :hmmm:

Mr. Needham has lived and worked in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Thailand for over twenty years. He, his wife, and their two sons divide their time between homes in Bangkok and New York. You can read excerpts from Jake Needham's other books as well as his weekly column, 'Letters from Asia,' at his web site: www.JakeNeedham.com

This biography was provided by the author or their representative. " :redflag:

http://www.amazon.co...am/e/B001JWS1ZE

Further below a NZ article on Shark.

I wonder if Stick felt intimidated by the guy. I mean you couldn't ask any softer softball questions, like about his diet or if he was good pool player or his love to animals while ignoring the topic about his business in NZ and LOS and _why_ people obviously fear him. In contrary Stick seems to find this quite funny (see his opening line).

And as other remarked Stick never ever asked any follow up questions when Shark talked obvious bullshit. I mean even the answer that he is on a high protein/low carb diet is bullshit. This guy is huge - and fat.

doah.gif

Let's see how long Shark will make it in Patty. He tells Stickman that he is able to pay himself out of most trouble and openly says that he is a loan shark. Both comments might not go well with Patty authorities (talking about losing face).

For me it seem that he is a dangerous, violent guy and best being completely avoided. We see similar guys like Shark in German red light districts. They are the scum of the society, aggressive, violent, usually involved in drugs and/or (forced) prostitution and so called security jobs.

New Zealander arrested after stabbing in Thailand

Last updated 21:47 13/03/2012

A hulking, tattooed New Zealander has been questioned by police in Thailand after allegedly stabbing a Canadian

teacher.

Timothy John Ward, 47, is believed to have stabbed Shaun Ohonny, 43, on a South Pattaya beach, Pattaya Daily

News reported.

Ward is also known as Tim Sharky and posted on his Facebook profile provided his version of events.

"The Police Lieutenant Colonel asked me why I stabbed the man.. ""Well sir.. That's because I didn't have a gun ...".

Ward ran away after the incident and hid in his hotel room, the newspaper reported.

Ward claimed he stabbed the teacher after he and his friends insulted him.

He told police that he was unemployed and “big†because he had done weight training for a long time.

Ohonny was apparently hospitalised after sustaining a deep knife wound in his left lower arm.

He told police that he had been chatting with friends on the beach when Ward approached the group, the newspaper

reported.

A fight broke out and Ward allegedly stabbed Ohonny, before running away.

Witnesses said Ward often walked the beach and threatened tourists.

Ward was arrested at his apartment, where police found two knives. He apparently told police that he had fought with

Ohonny but didn't stab him.

Ward is understood to be a former loan shark who had lived on Australia's Gold Cost but now resides mostly in

Thailand.

On his MySpace page he said he grew up in New Zealand living in orphanages.

He has the words "self made" tattooed across his knuckles. He has many photos of sports cars with the number plate

"shark" posted on his page.

In 2002 the Supreme Court of Queensland ordered Ward to pay $270,000 in fines related to many of his loan contracts

not being in compliance with the law.

His company Shark Financial Services Pty Ltd was prohibited from providing consumer credit on the ground that he

provided consumer credit unfairly and repeatedly engaged in unjust conduct.

He was recorded threatening and intimidating clients.

http://www.stuff.co....ing-in-Thailand

I haven't taken Stickman seriously since he ran a story about a BM on Thai360 that died in his middle 40's (I guess it was supposed to be an obituary). Stick posted his belief that he probably committed suicide. I've talked to several other BM's and none believe that scenario (he was a heavy smoker). After these recent series of interviews, I doubt if I'll be visiting Stickman's site again.

I haven't taken Stickman seriously since he ran a story about a BM on Thai360 that died in his middle 40's (I guess it was supposed to be an obituary). Stick posted his belief that he probably committed suicide. I've talked to several other BM's and none believe that scenario (he was a heavy smoker). After these recent series of interviews, I doubt if I'll be visiting Stickman's site again.

I wonder how many T360 BM's read that with a fag clenched between their teeth ? :hmmm:

I guess I'm over just how incredibly jaded Stick has become re Thai women, but this is a direct quote from the piece HT linked -

Within an hour of learning of his passing and still very much in a state of shock, emails started coming in from old friends from the Woodstock days. His marriage had gone south big time. His Mrs. had done a runner with their kid, and taken him back to her village in rural Thailand. She returned to the Netherlands to work in a massage parlour.

I hope it was natural causes.

Archived