The Mideastern Mob At Bumrungrad

zen4dummies

Bumrungrad is really plugged up with middle easterners. There are also lots of them on Soi 4. Is this a seasonal thing or are they taking over this part of Bangkok in a bigtime manner? Bumrungrad is conveniently located for me and I intend to have a shoulder problem taken care of soon but not in that environment. Those people are just not pleasant to be around.

zen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumrungrad is really plugged up with middle easterners. There are also lots of them on Soi 4. Is this a seasonal thing or are they taking over this part of Bangkok in a bigtime manner? Bumrungrad is conveniently located for me and I intend to have a shoulder problem taken care of soon but not in that environment. Those people are just not pleasant to be around.

zen

Same same Bangkok hospital in Petchburi, to the point where they actually employ full-time staff who are able to communicate in the lingo. There are now also three restaurants catering to these tastes and at least two condos nearby who exclusively service this crowd.

I think they're here to stay.

Ramadan starts 19 July - and the airlines that bring all the Middle-Eastern visitors here - on something like a US $99 round trip fare - require them to return back home before Ramadan to get that rate.

So - this place will continue to crawl with black burkas for another two weeks - and then most of them will all vanish at once.

Cheers!

SS

Phuket is becoming full of people coming from arab nations and i find them rude at times.

but i used to shake my head when seeing the men in their t-shirts and shorts knocking back their choice of spirit while the woman with them was in a full burka and was lucky to get a soft drink bought for them.

couple of times went on trips around the islands which included snorkeling and swimming and strange to see the women in the water wearing a burka..

They must conceal their beauty from the fish.

as a matter of interest at what stage are burkas expected to be worn?.

i see the women with little girls and the kids are happily running around in t-shirts and shorts.

is it a more fundamental part of the religion which makes the rules?.

as a matter of interest at what stage are burkas expected to be worn?.

i see the women with little girls and the kids are happily running around in t-shirts and shorts.

is it a more fundamental part of the religion which makes the rules?.

The ultra-conserative Wahabi sect is the one that makes women dress like a Guinness bottle. I have a few Muslim students and they women simply wear a hijab (head scarf) with a uniform with long sleeves and an ankle length skirt. There are three Muslim women on the faculty - two wear the hijab and one a complete burqa! It is rare to see a burqa in Malaysia, where the hijab is worn by almost all Muslim women. I've seen Malay Muslim women wearing jeans, a T-shirt ... and a hijab!

Non-religious women may be undistinguishable by their dress. I had one student who dressed and acted like every other Thai student. She liked me and would occasionally put her hand on my arm, something Thai women may do (but don't you touch them!) I was quite surprised one day when she told me she was a Muslim. She never covered her hair with a scarf. Several other female students over the years have even told me they no longer believed in Islam. They dare not say that to their families though.

p.s. Muhammad married his wife Ayesha when she was 7 and took her to live with him when she was 9. That might give a clue as to when a burqa should be worn. :p

Archived