The Mideastern Mob At Bumrungrad

zen4dummies

Bumrungrad is really plugged up with middle easterners. There are also lots of them on Soi 4. Is this a seasonal thing or are they taking over this part of Bangkok in a bigtime manner? Bumrungrad is conveniently located for me and I intend to have a shoulder problem taken care of soon but not in that environment. Those people are just not pleasant to be around.

zen

Bummers has been like that for easily ten years. Try Samitivej hospital for a less Middle Eastern experience.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

despite the customer base of 'bummers' & against my worst expectations it sorta has become kinda a fave quick fix place to see a doctor for an efficient opinion or even minor surgical stuff!

it's a very efficient place in fact & thais still frequent the place too & the location is very convenient to the expressway no question!

still nothing beats the charm & somewhat slower moving alternative haunts as BNH or regular suburban hospitals :elephant:

The ultra-conserative Wahabi sect is the one that makes women dress like a Guinness bottle. I have a few Muslim students and they women simply wear a hijab (head scarf) with a uniform with long sleeves and an ankle length skirt. There are three Muslim women on the faculty - two wear the hijab and one a complete burqa! It is rare to see a burqa in Malaysia, where the hijab is worn by almost all Muslim women. I've seen Malay Muslim women wearing jeans, a T-shirt ... and a hijab!

Non-religious women may be undistinguishable by their dress. I had one student who dressed and acted like every other Thai student. She liked me and would occasionally put her hand on my arm, something Thai women may do (but don't you touch them!) I was quite surprised one day when she told me she was a Muslim. She never covered her hair with a scarf. Several other female students over the years have even told me they no longer believed in Islam. They dare not say that to their families though.

p.s. Muhammad married his wife Ayesha when she was 7 and took her to live with him when she was 9. That might give a clue as to when a burqa should be worn. :p

it's certainly a mystery to me as i worked with many muslim women over the years.

not one wore a burka but many had the headscarfs.

but there was a strict dress code for nurses and whatever they did out of work was up to them,but while working they had to go without any sort of headwear.

terms of employment and all that but their choice if they accepted the dress code.

but i never saw or heard of any minor,let alone major problems over the years.

Unlike Sydney, I'm happy to report that my brief interactions with Arabs in LOS have been non-confrontational. The 'Darth Vader' gear is only covering women I have no interest in looking at anyway - in that respect its a blessing - and AFAIK radical Islam has no foothold beyond the far South of the country. The men are arrogant, but compared to the Russians in Patts they seem relatively harmless. Have seen a few wandering down Soi 4 and they form part of the gawker pack on Walking St, but in my experience they have no interest in the bars. Most mongers seem more worked up over the presence of Farang women in 'their' entertainment venues. I guess its not as much fun sliding your hand into a 19-year old's knickers with someone who looks disturbingly like your ex-wife watching. :eek:

I can put up with the FFs ( female farangs ) in the bars as long as they sit quietly but when they get up on stage and join in :confused: I mean if I go to see a play in the theatre I dont expect members of the audience to get up on stage and ruin it :shakehead

Ramadan starts 19 July - and the airlines that bring all the Middle-Eastern visitors here - on something like a US $99 round trip fare - require them to return back home before Ramadan to get that rate.

So - this place will continue to crawl with black burkas for another two weeks - and then most of them will all vanish at once.

Cheers!

SS

Thanks for the responses and info fellas. I passed on Bangkok Hospital and went to BNH. I am also glad to learn that this is a temporary situation.

I talked to some friends that live at the Omni and they are not happy at all with what is going on. One of the guys had his laundry in the public dryer and found arab kids going through it. When he told them to get out of there they asked where he was from.

I have lived here for 10 years and do not recall the influx was as bad as this. A lot of hard feelings have developed.

Archived