10 Great Guitar Solos

So, I was originally going to title this post "10 Greatest Guitar Solos" or some shit, but I quickly realized the futility of that...

Anyway, it seems there are a lot of guitar aficionados on here, so this should be appreciated...

These are not in any order, just guitar solos in rock (and pop...and jazz...) contexts which I feel really exude emotion/passion and which have moved me in some way...take them as you will!! Note that I didn't bother trying to list the "album" for the pop/top 40 single entries...

Jeff “Skunk†Baxter Hot Stuff (Donna Summer)

He did this coming off tour, he just walked in and smoked the fucker, and it shows...nice and raw and elemental.

Johnny Winter Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo (Edgar Winters/â€Roadwork†album)

This is a live performance, a guest spot on his brother's live album from the early 70s...definitely falls under the heading of "extended, constructed solo"...builds to a great fucking fever pitch, too...

Frank Zappa Willie the Pimp (â€Hot Rats†album)

another slowly-building, carefully constructed solo, with a great (though not necessarily flashy) "payoff"...

Joe Walsh Rock and Roll Man (Michael Stanley/â€Michael Stanley†album)

Before Walsh emasculated himself and just went for the paycheck with Eagles, the dude was a vital artist...some of his best work is from obscure journeyman guest appearances like this one...

Mick Box Gypsy (Uriah Heep/â€Very ‘eavy Very ‘umble†album)

I think every rock fan over the age of 40 (50, maybe?) knows this one...very simple, but quite effective...almost, but not quite into the territory of Neil Young's awesome "one-note" solo efforts...which I didn't include any of here because they're just too overplayed (see: Cinnamon Girl)

Mike Scofield It Gets Better (Miles Davis/â€We Want Miles†album)

Yeah, he's a jazz player, but this fucking ROCKS...

Don “Buck Dharma†Roeser Hot Rails to Hell (Blue Oyster Cult/â€Tyranny and Mutation†album)

speaking of rock...and "burning your eyes out," like the lyrics say...damn. I've seen this guy play live three times, both in stadiums in their heyday and little pathetic "clubs" after their decline...he's still a master.

Randy Holden Fruits and Icebergs (Blue Cheer/â€New! Improved! Blue Cheer†album)

post-psychedelic orgasmic amazement. what was this guy ON? who cares...

Phil Keaggy Never is a Long Time (Glass Harp/â€Synergy†album)

a really promising motherfucker from my youth "hometown" of Youngstown, Ohio...this is from when he was still with his band, Glass Harp, and hadn't quite totally lobotomized himself with the born-again Xian shit which would eventually consume his artistry...fuck.

Tony Peluso Goodbye to Love (Carpenters)

okay, so I opened and closed this list with a pop top 40 trifle. but c'mon, this solo--and all the fills--is a fucking classic. a slight insight into what the great Karen Carpenter could've been if she didn't a) surround her amazing voice with SHIT syrupy pop arrangements and B) didn't starve her ass to death at an early age...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ratchada,

Some good calls in there, especially Joe Walsh (I preferred his James Gang and Solo days than his Eagles work) Frankie Z and Mick Box. (I am not quite 50 yet but I matured early)

I give you one of the most underrated guitarist of all time, Jeff Beck .... Hey when Jimmy Page joins him on stage for his indocteration to R&R hall of fame you know he is up there.

Anyone who has seen the Bo Derek / Dudley Moore movie "10" will recognize this tune, originally a classical tune by Maurice Ravel but given a make over by Jeff Beck ... Bolero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7neHq9fpBc

Everyone who plays has a hero, JB is mine

I give you one of the most underrated guitarist of all time, Jeff Beck ....

When i was young in the sixties there was an ongoing discussion who was the best guitarist in the world, Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton, so at least then he wassn't underrated by everyone.

ALHOLK

P.S. Jeff Beck was and is a favourite of min.

Ratchada,

Some good calls in there, especially Joe Walsh (I preferred his James Gang and Solo days than his Eagles work) Frankie Z and Mick Box. (I am not quite 50 yet but I matured early)

I give you one of the most underrated guitarist of all time, Jeff Beck .... Hey when Jimmy Page joins him on stage for his indocteration to R&R hall of fame you know he is up there.

Anyone who has seen the Bo Derek / Dudley Moore movie "10" will recognize this tune, originally a classical tune by Maurice Ravel but given a make over by Jeff Beck ... Bolero

Agreed, Jeff Beck is awesome...right from his Yardbirds stuff, through his 80s fusion stuff all the way to the present...I actually recently saw a video of him, can't remember what exactly it was, a friend posted it on Facebook...but it was very recent, something like last year, and he sounded very fresh and contemporary...

Ratchada,

Also, in the Joe Walsh department: check him out on "James Gang Live at Carnegie Hall," from 1971 or something...it's total LIVE power trio--guitar, bass, drums, just three guys (okay, on some tracks it's organ, bass and drums, Mr. Walsh on the keys) with no overdubs, just in case you thought any of his other James Gang pyrotechnics were studio trickery...he does a great rhythm/lead switch thing on "Walk Away" that just kicks total ass.

Mike Scofield It Gets Better (Miles Davis/â€We Want Miles†album)

Yeah, he's a jazz player, but this fucking ROCKS...

Correction!! The album is "Star People," and the track is "Speak", not "It Gets Better" (though the latter is cool in its own way...but "Speak" is the one I was thinking of...)

Agreed, Jeff Beck is awesome...right from his Yardbirds stuff, through his 80s fusion stuff all the way to the present...I actually recently saw a video of him, can't remember what exactly it was, a friend posted it on Facebook...but it was very recent, something like last year, and he sounded very fresh and contemporary...

That would be from his "Live at Ronnie Scotts" DVD, excellent

Live at Ronnies

Hey! Why has no-one mentioned the late great Gary Moore? Parisienne Walkways, I Still Got The Blues For You, the stuff he did with Phil Lynott and his brilliant show at the Montreal Jazz festival. One of the greats.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived