Last Call - Revive Thai 360

kamui

Hi,

Change of board name was a strategic error, not SEO/advertising friendly;

I agree. In hindsight - which is always bloody easy, eh? - it was a mistake. Not much I can do about it now though.

Very dated design - not that much better than Delphi;

Disagree on this one. The design of a forum is not a big factor in popularity (just look at ThaiVisa, it looks horrible) and as far as functionality goes the software we use is pretty up-to-date.

Changed demography of those who remain in BKK/LOS;

Not sure how I could do anything about this.

The message board was associated originally with a web-site, which was what drew readers in to the message board. It featured bar reviews and what-not. Now plenty of current information available elsewhere but hardly any here (same same Nanapong again) No information = no fresh blood + old blood looking elsewhere.

Don't disagree here, but with me not going out and the site not making enough to pay others for contributions keeping a site up-to-date just wasn't an option. And if the site was not up-to-date, having it would have been just detrimental.

Sanuk!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I get it, does not look so believable right off the bat but I would still afford them the same impact and consideration as a poster who lives here, we don't know who Mr Braddock is so grant him the benefit of the doubt. Heavyweight is a relative term here surely, posting on a webboard can't really ever be more that a frivolous bit of fluff on the passing of time, can it. So, Mr Braddock, poster or troll, I don't know and nor does it matter. I thought the comments had merit, right or wrong.

Well said, and I am rather disappointed that - even in a thread like this! - I had to remove comments insulting someone because of a low post count. Very sad.

In any case I could believe KS may have less interest in what goes on here today as say 10 years ago. Had T360 become a massive success attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors, morphing into a portal on all things Thai for the foreigner and attracting the interest of a google or yahoo I would think KS would already have got out, with a large dollop of the readies. But only he knows the answers to those questions.

I am in 2 minds about the decline a bit. On the one hand it is obviously not nice to see the board going from 10K+ posts / month to

As for money, I've never made it a secret that the site doesn't generate much revenue. After expenses there often isn't much left. But, that has pretty much always been the case; even when the site was doing much better it never made that much money. The main NP.com website did okay out of Google initially, but then Google decided the topic was 'immoral' and we lost ~$350-400/month of income overnight.

Sanuk!

Hi,

It was that money that allowed us to pay columnists. With that income gone keeping the columnists wasn't really an option anymore.

People tend to overlook these things when talking about running a website and what should be done. Everything costs money or time (but that too is actually a cost in money as the time could be spend doing other things) and running a website is no different.

Another favorite is "Well, get your readers to contribute." which usually comes from people who would not do so themselves :). It is always one of the other members who should create a good post, post a bunch of cool pics, write a trip report, etc etc etc.

The theory is fine, if each of us would each week start one thread, make 5 replies and post one photo to the gallery, the site would have quite a considerable amount of traffic. In reality though, it just doesn't work that way.

The thing is most of us - and that includes myself - are consumers rather than producers of content.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"This board is not yours."

No, it's not, nor could it be. Several years ago I ran some numbers, but I could not see how income from the site could ever sustain me (not to be mention the fickle nature of the Internet and large advertisers like Google). It is also very hard to be legal when working full time on a website. I mean I doubt I'd get a work permit and Non-Imm B for running this site :)

On top of that there are the relationship considerations. If I'd do this full time I would have to be out and about most nights doing research. I am quite certain that would have killed my marriage.

So, in the end it was an easy decision. The site is a hobby and stays that way.

Sanuk!

If George Soros would agree to pay me 5 USD / hour I spent on this board sice 1998 (?) he would be broke . I have to admit that my input is also desperately needed on two other , airtraffic related , boards one of which is currently going down the drain . There is no point in revival strategies once a certain gravity gets lost . Even if this board would be renamed into Nanaplaza Hardcore Bareback . Though I think we will survive due to the intellectually outstanding group of gentlemen posting here .

Hi,

I agree, there is no point in changing the name or focus to something more hardcore (nor would I want to). Whether the board fully dies or not, I don't know, but I can still see it being around for a while yet. Sure, traffic/posts are down, but there are still a decent amount of people checking in regularly.

Sanuk!

Though I think we will survive due to the intellectually outstanding group of gentlemen posting here .

Speak for your self!

I've lost half my intellectual since I began posting, and half my youth and half my stamina, and half my money and half my reason and oh, er, got myself a lovely Lao girl :)

Archived