Last Call - Revive Thai 360

kamui

Hi,

Would be good if he got his facts straight though as the forum is NOT defunct. A name change does not mean it becomes a totally different forum.

Sanuk!

But to many people it did. Didn't you admit it wasn't a good idea in hindsite to change the name? And on the web, it's the appearance, the change of a name is as good as closing something to many people. You may disagree, but if someone else thinks that way, well - to them, it went and closed, it's whats important to them that counts, their the customer.

The end of Friday meetings I think was the final nail, as Stick knows.

And to some of my good friends here, it's no good having the high and mighty "oh, just let us know your coming and we meet".

That's a closed group, it's elitist. It doesn't allow for people who have no idea if they'll be there or not. I know Mekong (one of my closest mates!) and the other guys can do this, but frankly I am so busy, I don't know if I am free on Friday until 5 minutes before I am free, then it's too late to call anyone!

IF there was a regular meeting, I'd just show up!

And yep - I blame in part there the "Balloon" chasers, who ran away to get more free food etc, which was annoying as you'd go to meet them, some are good mates of mine also, only to find they had gone onto the next free buffet!

I was as broke as they at the time, but I had the decency to try and stick around and meet people, and try and continue what Stick pointed out was our charm: helpfulness.

Again I think this place could be good, if we made an effort to name a weekly place, I think Sams 2000 is perfect, we used to meet in the heart of Nana, so why not the heart of Cowboy?

I think we need to go into the Heart of Darkness if we're to get the numbers up again.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some valid points IMHO, but I really think both the Board & the meetings have been on a downhill slide for a long time.

Many reasons I guess, but I don't know about Sams being the way to turn things around.

The last two meeting venues have done nothing for me personally, but to be fair I have not spent a lot of time in downtown Bangkok over the past 2 or 3 years.

As much as I never liked "Gullables", we had some good roll ups at that venue....often 20+.....but again that was maybe 5 + years ago

Things change....people change....

Personally I think the new PC "Wholesome" approach was one of the most significant factors in the demise

Just my :twocents:

Things change....people change....

Too true DS,

Gone are the days when I used to hang around NEP in the Woodstock days or for that matter meet the nanapong crew at The Living Room, 12 years ago is a quarter of a lifetime for me.

The problem with the weekly meetings is that they got too stale, as board traffic has decreased so did attendance and as much as I get on well with KS, Cavanami, Coss, hummlaar etc it does get a little tiresome seeing the same old 2-3 faces week in / week out and that was what sounded the death knoll IMHO.

I stand by my "drop me a line when in town" mantra, it worked when I met BB on his previous trip, just missed Chelseafan in Pattaya this time, hell Worldfun and I even spent a weekend in Madrid as partners in crime when we were both there.

Hi,

Huumlaar, you make a valid point regarding some people thinking the site went away, but Stick knows better. He knows Thai360=Nanaplaza.com so why say it is defunct?

With regards to the meetings, again I agree. They were a big part of what made this community, but towards the end it was very common that there were only 2-3 people, the same ones that were there the week before and before that. A major draw for me was to meet people I didn't meet that often, but many of those people stopped coming to the meetings and the board (for whatever reason). The meetings had longed stopped being the draw they were initially before we stopped them altogether.

I disagree on the venue having to be inside the nightlife area though as we still got plenty of people showing up at Gulliver's, which was probably the furthest from the nightlife we've been.

And as DS said, people change. To be blunt, I more often than not can't be arsed to get dressed, shave and trek down to Sukhumvit in the hopes of maybe meeting one or two people. If I knew there'd be someone to meet, I would make the effort, but too often I showed up and sat there by myself wondering what the fuck I was doing.

I've said this before, the decline of this board is due to a lot of different factors, some we / I have control over, but many we / I do no not.

Sanuk!

Posters with some spare time might go through all posts that Stick has ever left here and might soon find out that not long ago he did publish his opinion that this board is still the best he knows on Thai-related matters . Probably between 1 and 2 years ago .

The last time I have been to Nana has been at a time when I was still smoking ciggies in a place called G-spot where some Thai lasses tried to impress the spectators with kind of a wrestling job in a pot full of water . Very ridiculous but entertaining . I gave up smoking about 12 years ago and since then have not been back to aforementioned premises but still would be more than happy to sail under the nanaplaza.com -flag rather than a meaningless Thai360 banner .

As we are on it : I am again in tears thinking of the now defunct Clinton Plaza . Dollhouse No. 33 . I prefer to stop here , may Buddha bless here .

Would making the meetings monthly be a better bet? Say the first or last Friday of the month. That way, the expats could plan ahead (surely once a month is doable) and the tourists could plan their time off accordingly.

Anyone up for a drink but not in Bangkok for the set Friday - post a thread in meetings?

Worth a punt?

Re : Stickman and his use of the word "defunct" - google shows "defunct nanaplaza.com" comes up in the Stick Weekly twice (not counting this weeks)..

2nd October 2011

25th July 2010

I knew I'd heard him say it before... seems he's held a grudge for a while now KS...

Red,

We tried that 3 months ago and it failed, partially my fault I was stuck in court all day and couldn't make the meeting I had set up.

Last Friday of the month is a bad day, it equals payday in Thailand therefore everyone is out and about which equates to mega traffic jams

Didn't realise that was payday - but that could be a good thing for some (burp) - second or third would work just as well though, but if it has been tried, never mind.

I'm as much to blame as anyone - used to go to Woodstock and Gulliver's whenever I was in town, would generally plan my holiday so I'd fly in on a Thursday/Friday and fly out on a weekend so I could catch one or two meetings, but there were a lot of years where I just didn't go to LOS (blame the ex wife for that one). A lot of the time I'd meet some lads in Pattaya or on other nights in BKK - there was always people around, and I generally knocked around with some old faces.. Some great days/nights over the years...

12 years ago is a quarter of a lifetime for me

Just noticed this Mekong, 12 years is just over a third for me which still makes me the baby of the group! Good to know with 40 just around the corner - don't tell anyone though, I've been passing myself off as "mid to late 20's" for over a decade now...

Archived