Last Call - Revive Thai 360

kamui

Might have something to do with the fact that tourism is way down. Everyone is broke.

Sorry Flash,

but:

1.) Try top book a flight to LOS Oct-March at a reasonable price - ALL SOLD OUT

2.) Dito for Accomodation in BKK or Samui

3.) If you got one, see what is going on in the Duty Free Shops (Sales like there is no tomorrow)

4.) If you do not get one and stay home, visit your premium shopping area and you see the same!

We are all broke??? No, we just keep telling ourselves, that we are!

HB

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Flash,

but:

1.) Try top book a flight to LOS Oct-March at a reasonable price - ALL SOLD OUT

2.) Dito for Accomodation in BKK or Samui

3.) If you got one, see what is going on in the Duty Free Shops (Sales like there is no tomorrow)

4.) If you do not get one and stay home, visit your premium shopping area and you see the same!

We are all broke??? No, we just keep telling ourselves, that we are!

HB

HellB, your are absolutely right:

Euro crisis 'not hurting tourism'

The ongoing debt crisis in Europe has had no effect on the country’s tourism-related industries so far, says Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa.

Speaking on the "Yingluck Government Meets the People" weekly talk show on NBT on Saturday, Mr Chumpol said the number of foreign tourists from 11 European countries continued to increase from last year. As well, he said, the ountry was seeing healthy growth in arrivals Korea, Japan and China.

The minister attributed the tourism expansion to the success of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in restoring confidence in the country by visiting several countries soon after taking office.

He forecast the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand would reach 20 million this year, with total revenue of about 800 billion baht. Last year the country attracted 19.2 million visitors and about 770 billion baht in tourism revenue.

Mr Chumpol said he believed the ministry’s target to increase revenue of the tourism sector to 2 trillion baht in 2015 would be achieved.

http://www.bangkokpo...hurting-tourism

kamui ,

please avoid troubling the esteemed community with statistics of tourism which has been discussed here many times and we found out in 1996 that it goes up and down . This board has been invented to provide a suitable platform for people like Coss (sp?) to elaborate on his strategies to deal with female Lao citizen . Difficult enough .

As a major contribution I shall in short time complete my unique thread about the Surin roller shutter , a widely underestimated personal statement . I could tell more now but I don`t .

Hi,

Fair enough points on the nightlife stuff. I actually closed that off in hopes of getting people to sign up to read it, but yes it might have backfired.

I have opened the forums up and I guess we'll see if it makes any difference.

Sanuk!

I read this thread to this post and have to say, the NL section is WHY i joined. Even though I had been coming for a few years already, I liked reading the threads there. I did not know nubs could not see it. If I did I would have said that was a mistake.

my $.02

As a major contribution I shall in short time complete my unique thread about the Surin roller shutter , a widely underestimated personal statement . I could tell more now but I don`t .

Since weeks I am checking every two hours for the next installment. spin.gif

tourism way down? where do you get this information from? hordes of asian tourists from China, Korea, Japan etc. compensate the broken westerners!

HT,

Yes, true, but these Asian punters and the huge influx of Russians as tourists do not add to a site in English about Thailand. The language barrier. The west is experiencing its worst economic slowdown (depression/recession) in decades. This has to have an effect on western originating tourism to Thailand. The punters have less cash to throw around, are more cautious with their money, and many are either out of work, working for less pay, or just worried enough to not splurge on an LOS holiday at the moment. It's less western tourism that is affecting the board, and a wider range of internet sites available on the topic here. I still also think the name change from Nanaplaza.com to Thai360.com had a big effect on the site as well, especially in the draw the old name had for new punters/posters compared to the new more generic and less nightlife oriented Thai360.

I use a more local site now about the Surin area. I also do not go online as much as I did before because I am busier now, have a lot of farang friends here locally to discuss these things with when I want to or need to.

I do think a more specific set of forums would/might bring some interest. Forums focused on certain Thai cities besides just BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. More localized forums of other cities can bring a few members who live in an area to the forum to discuss their area in more detail than they would otherwise, bringing in a lot of localized info people could use on their holidays or trips around the country. It all adds to the total and might bring some interest that adds to the whole thing. Easy enough to add forums or sub-forums I think. Many of the older members have moved to the hinterlands because it is cheaper and their baht goes further than in the tourist cities and big Mango. Many have married. Some have gone back to their motherland. Many no longer monger or are more private about it. Some prolific posters died, or are older and in ill health and no longer interested, as they have more important things to deal with in life. And, as someone pointed out, some moved to Thailand to live here full time and do not need a board as they are living the life and know the answers to most questions asked on a board like this.

Some just don't have the time. I am sure many have stories and interesting trip reports and such they could post, but either can't or don't want to post them and take the time to do so.

The Central Scrutinizer

Hi,

"Easy enough to add forums or sub-forums I think."

It is, but unless those forums actually see any regular traffic all they do is make the site look dead. For instance, would you really bother signing up to this forum if you were interested in Surin and saw a sub-forum on Surin with 5 threads entered over the last year?

Sanuk!

I wonder if no longer having the Friday meetings has had an effect. I remember when newbies would show up just to meet people from the board. That happened often in the old days at Woodstock (Nana), and carried over to Gullible's. Even Los Cabos brought a few new people in. Now newbs have nowhere to find anyone. :hmmm:

I wonder if no longer having the Friday meetings has had an effect. I remember when newbies would show up just to meet people from the board. That happened often in the old days at Woodstock (Nana), and carried over to Gullible's. Even Los Cabos brought a few new people in. Now newbs have nowhere to find anyone. :hmmm:

Flashermac

That, to me, relates to the old union rep appearing every week or so for the union dues. He also took note of complaints and discussed issues with you and he was the one to bring in news and circulars too.

Then came the payment of the union dues through the payroll. That was the end of the union rep calling - so hence the lack of interest (in my opinion) to the unions. Nowadays very few know who their union rep is. They never hear anything from the unions anymore so again the interest was lost.

Here in Thai 360 its getting that way now. If you don't have people getting involved in some small way or another then people won't visit. I'm not good at writing trip reports - probably because I haven't been to Thailand for two years. That doesn't stop me from visiting here every day to get the news on places I've been to etc.

I also find Thai360 very helpful by way of seeking information on many subjects, not just mongering. I've always found people here only too willing to help.

In respect of having additional forums - I was always interesting in finding that there isn't a forum here on Hua Hin. Thats a place well supported by our fellow farangs.

I accept Khun Sanuks comments on having forums and finding their not used or are out of date - perhaps it might be better to have them as not having them.

I also agree with another persons view on the fact that probably less people can afford to go to Thailand and the fact that many more sites are opening up too and providing information in a different format.

Khun Sanuk - is there a way of having this site linked to other sites and vice versa - or is that sort of thing not done with related sites which deal with similar subjects. It might boost traffic here if someone on another site saw a link to here and came to have a look. If theres money involved then that in itself could be a problem. However, if neither site sought money for linking to another then it's possibly it could work.

Would it also help if in the Technology section you had a forum on say 'free' software or a link to where it could be available. An example is a site I became aware of recently http://ninite.com/ which gives links to freely available software.

Ok I'm out of ideas for now.

I think you might have a point there. I was in Bkk a couple of weeks ago and if there had been a Friday meeting I might have attended. I have been to one meeteing at Woodstock where most were unfriendly and a couple of meetings at Gullivers where people were friendly.

I understand that thoose board members who live in Bkk have their own lives to attend to but some friday meeting at a place easy to find by people out of town where board members and us out of towners could meet up when we have time might help.

Also some members could drop their "better than thou" attitude as it does piss of many newbies. I came to Thailand the first time in 1982 and I really don't need anyone who has lived ther for a couple of years to tell me how I should respect them because they live there.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived