Murder Capital Of The World

gobbledonk

I thought it was one of those hideous towns in Mexico - Ciudad Juarez or Medellin - but over time it appears that El Salvador has the numbers.

My link

Of course, 6 months is a long time in statistical terms - this writer claims Honduras has move to the top spot:

Honduras Murder Capital of the World

Whether its Colombia, Venezuela, El Salvador or Honduras is less startling to me than the fact that they are killing more of their own people than the Iragis OR the Mexicans, and the root cause of the violence is identical in each of the South American countries. Endemic corruption, cyclical poverty and gangs from the Barrio acting as hitmen and enforcers for the drug barons. Most of us are just numb to these stories by now - South America may as well be Africa or the Middle East. Thanks again, Spanish colonialists - bang up job. Lets hope Argentina doesn't slide into the hole you dug for your other former colonies, including the Phillipines.

A couple of quotes:

2011:

Its rate of 65 homicides per 100,000 people makes its crime rate three times higher than Mexico; even with the conflict in Iraq, in the years between 2004 and 2009 more people were killed per capita in El Salvador.

2012:

Honduras, a nation of 7.6 million, now has the highest homicide rate in the world — 82.1 murders per 100,000 residents, compared to 5.5 per 100,000 in Florida.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spanish colonialists - bang up job. Lets hope Argentina doesn't slide into the hole you dug for your other former colonies, including the Phillipines.

a bit simple way of thinking! The colonialists are guilty for the mess in the country many decades after they left! That's the same simplicistic thinking like those who say, were certain countries still colonies, everything would be in much better shape!

Archived