Pattaya Marathon 15Th July 2012

limbo

Just completed the half marathon of Pattaya this morning in a personal best time of 1 hour 54 minutes, my first time under 2 hours!

Start and finish were in front of Central Festival on Beach road. Start at 5am! Last couple of km's went via walking street onto beach road, was kinda strange to see and experience Walking street at 6.45ish am after a good 19km run, navigating your way through the reminders of the night.

Just completed the half marathon of Pattaya this morning in a personal best time of 1 hour 54 minutes, my first time under 2 hours!

Start and finish were in front of Central Festival on Beach road. Start at 5am! Last couple of km's went via walking street onto beach road, was kinda strange to see and experience Walking street at 6.45ish am after a good 19km run, navigating your way through the reminders of the night.

well done Limbo..... :up:

when i used to run my best time for the distance was 1 hour 27 minutes.

but that was in usually cold March in the UK and a very flat course and often raining as well.

but i ran the 21K over 100 times in 13 Years and happy to find out my average time was around 1:42.

had to give up running after i competed in an 80 mile run which was very hilly and i just suffered mentally and physically,no fun afterwards.

not my idea of fun to run 21K in the heat of Thailand. :down:

I bet you were a lot younger when you did your half marathons Sayjann? I also just started 2 and a half years ago with running again. This was my 3rd half marathon and I improved PB with 8 minutes today on a very hilly route! Lots of good preparation and careful race planning and strategy worked out!

@ Horneytorney, plenty of k-toys, proud 'owners' of their girl friend du jour and in general a melee of characters there at that time of the day.

:bow:

I bet you were a lot younger when you did your half marathons Sayjann? I also just started 2 and a half years ago with running again. This was my 3rd half marathon and I improved PB with 8 minutes today on a very hilly route! Lots of good preparation and careful race planning and strategy worked out!

@ Horneytorney, plenty of k-toys, proud 'owners' of their girl friend du jour and in general a melee of characters there at that time of the day.

oh yes i was much younger then your aged backside...... :biggrin:

23 when i started and never really got any better over the years.

running was just a bit of fun for me and i would do fast and slow times over various courses,the flatter the better was good for me.......i hated hills.

thankfully i never had to train hard or prepare that hard as i was crap.

funnily enough one of the worst times i ever recorded was in Apeldoorn in your home country and so flat.

strange to think one of my best events was a 1500m time trial on a track around 3 hours after a very boozy night out..... :dunno:

anyway,congrats to you once again..... :wave:

Congratulations. I think with the crushing humidity of Thailand running a half < 2 hours is pretty damn impressive for a recreational runner.

Do you train outdoor? How often?

Were there a lot of both Thai and Farang running (I'm just curious)? Anyway, that's a nice pace you kept with 1:54 and in the tropical heat zone even more so.

So the full Bangkok marathon must be next right??? :)

Congratulations. I think with the crushing humidity of Thailand running a half < 2 hours is pretty damn impressive for a recreational runner.

Do you train outdoor? How often?

Were there a lot of both Thai and Farang running (I'm just curious)? Anyway, that's a nice pace you kept with 1:54 and in the tropical heat zone even more so.

So the full Bangkok marathon must be next right??? :)

Hi Pai mei,

Thanks! By now I;m used to running in Thailand's heat, I don't know any better! Most races start early, around 4.30am for marathons, 5am in Pattaya's half and 6am usually for the provincial 10-15km races. If possible I train early as well, I prefer that to the late afternoon/early evening heat.

I train/run about 3-4 times a week in my local hood, 7 to 13km routes and a couple of hill routes for speed training.

The Pattaya had surprisingly few Western runners, considering the size of the field, mainly Thais and plenty of neighboring countries. The Phuket marathon sees a few more Westerners I would say.

Since I live on Samui and I can't run each weekend, due to work commitment, I'm not sure when my next run is coming up, not before September but unfortunately nothing in Bangkok. Living on Koh Samui, BKK is just a tad bit too far away. I could run in Pattaya because BKK Air had a promotion where for half frequent flyer points you could travel, so I used them. I run mostly in Southern Thailand, Samui, Phuket, Hat Yai, Surat and the boonies.

Archived