Olympics

sayjann

sorry to start a new thread but the time looms for the games.

what events do you look forward to?

i'm not a fan of field events(but i like the long jump and triple jump as i was school champion for 5 years..... :tuxedo: but track events i like as i took part in these these events as a youngster at school.

and over the years i have run anything from 100m to a marathon so do take an interest.

but at the moment i'm excited about the cycling.

i've watched the Tour De France for 20 Years and love the spectacle of the races.

this Year Wiggins became the first Brit to win the race and Cavendish won for the 4th time in the final stage............remarkable.

Wiggins already has 6 medals at the Olympics(including 3 golds)in previous games and i will be cheering him on.

the road race will pass close to my house so i will probably go and try and park and have a look.

but after all the euphoria of TDF it's obvious the Brits will fuck up.... :yikes:

but looking forward to the 100m sprint.

Bolt has suffered recently with rumours of an injury and i will be licking my lips in antipation with this race.

and of course the feamale gymnastics.......

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wanker:

SJ,

What I find objectionable about these games is the power of the Corporate Sponsors, they have been touted as "The People's Games" yet young kids who have been selected as guards of honor are now being told that they have to wear Adidas trainers, not Nike or Converse, either Adidas or they are ejected, WTF. For an 8 / 9 year old kid being selected for such is a great honor at such a young age, you imagine being a parent telling your kid "Sorry we cannot afford a pair of Adidas Trainers you have to miss out" even East Germany and the Stasi was not this bad.

Not allowed to wear a Pepsi T -Shirt because Coca Cola are the Sponsor, no "Political T-Shirts" (whatever that may mean), I thought North Korea was the last bastion of dress code. The games are disrupting the day to day life of the average Londoner with the "Zil Lanes", McDonalds have got a ban in place for the sale of CHIPS within 20 mile radius, WTF, Steak and Chips, Pie and Chips, Chicken and Chips etc are standard English food and McDonalds don't even serve chips, they dish up some reprossesed powdered potatoe substitute in strings and deep fry them and sell them as McFries.

Local Businesses are banned from taking part in having window displays to promote the games, A bagel shop was banned from displaying five bagels because it was an infringement on the Olympic emblem, there are banned words, Olympics, twenty twelve, 2012, Games, Gold, Silver, Bronze and so on.

It's a farce as far as I am concerned and the UK is kao towing to big business, hence the reason I am looking forward to the closing ceremony and am very happy that I have been outside of UK tax system for the past 20 odd years and will not be picking up part of the tab!

Just my opinion.

Archived