Olympics

sayjann

post-98-0-77968100-1343489209.jpg

i enjoyed the opening ceremony,quite quirky at times.

it was aimed at presenting the UK to the world and of course i recognised all the major parts and the history it told.

an oscar winner film director made a meal of it at times but it was fun to watch.

i know a lot of countries around the world would have no idea about many of the things portrayed but who cares,it's the UK's games and it's celebration.

some good moments with Queen Elizabeth becoming a Bond girl and a humerous act from Mr.Bean which went down well.

i liked the breaking of tradition of one person lighting the flame by having young people athletics nominated by UK medallists of the past to perform the ceremony.

the cauldron launch was well done and looked good from a distance.

the entire 'show' was not perfect but looked impressive to me.

only thing that spoilt the whole thing was the choice of musical acts,some were dire.

but the worst was Paul McCartney performing Hey Jude........... :nono::doah::down::barf::barf::barf:

IMO the worst song ever written and that was when i decided to go to bed.

but i will not compare it with other opening ceremonies as that is futile.

some are better then others and each is unique in their own way.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the ceremony was excellent although agree that many other nationalities wouldn't have understood much of it, not that it really matters. I thought the New York Times reviewed it well,

"With its hilariously quirky Olympic opening ceremony, a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall, Britain presented itself to the world Friday night as something it has often struggled to express even to itself: a nation secure in its own post-empire identity, whatever that actually is."

Have to agree about Paul McCartney, although not so much about the choice of song. When is someone going to tell him that having long died brown hair does not make him look younger. His face with it's sunken eyes, eye bags and sagging jowels looks as old as the hills and the mane of died brown hair frankly looks just ridiculous!

Saylom drops controversial decision

LONDON : Gani Zhailauov of Kazakhstan won a controversial first-round fight over Saylom Ardee in Olympics lightweight (60kg) boxing on Sunday night.

The fight was stopped for a minute in the first round with 50 seconds left after the Khon Kaen fighter, in his second Olympics, bloodied the Kazakh's nose.

It resumed after 30 seconds of medical attention, and Zhailauov was a changed boxer, taking the fight to the bigger Saylom.

Saylom won the first round 5-4, but the fight was tied 8-8 after the second.

Saylom seemed to score at least twice as many punches as the Kazakh in the final round, but the judges scored it even, with Zhailauov getting the decision. :boxing:

Zhailauov was surprised by the decision - as was Saylom, who had raised his hands after the final bell, thinking like most of the spectators that he had won. :hmmm:

Why is it always the boxing decisions that are fucked up?

I thought the ceremony was excellent although agree that many other nationalities wouldn't have understood much of it, not that it really matters.

Glad you enjoyed in Mr Munchie, apart from too much emphasise on NHS and the dreadful Macca ending (not to mention the product placing of Samsung) I thought Danny nailed it. For me the the forged rings were the highlight showing the UK's lead into the industrial revolution, they allowed a left wing Mancunian produce the ceremony and he did this left wing Mancunian proud!

I didn't see the opening ceremony and the parade of countries. I have to ask, did the countries of the Arab Spring (Egypt, Libya, etc.) get special applause?

all the countries got cheers and applause as they walked into the arena which is what it is all about,this was about sport and nothing else.

but i see the American TV network NBC? who have the exclusive rights to the games performed a naughty and did'nt show a tribute to the 7-7 events which happened in London.

a spokesperson seems to have said they had no idea of bombs going off in London and many people killed a few years ago..... :angryfire:

many UK citizens were upset by this action.

all the countries got cheers and applause as they walked into the arena which is what it is all about,this was about sport and nothing else.

LOL...blah...blah...blah. Politics is now part of sport and has been for decades as much as we may not like it or pretend it isn't. Since Sayjann won't answer the question ( :neener: haha) did anyone else notice any special applause for those athletes? Just curious. Nothing more. In the '84 Olympics in LA, the one where the Soviets boycotted (as a response to the '80 boycott by America), the Romanians and any other Soviet bloc nation got extra applause.

Okay, I'm gonna step on more toes now. There are so called sports that I personally, in my definition of sport don't consider a sport. In my personal definition, a sport is any game that involves a certain degree of athletic ability and skill and there is an obvious winner that any observer can determine.

So, in my definition, gymnastics, diving and any contest where you have a judge that has to tell the crowd who won is NOT a sport. Boxing is a sport ONLY if one guy knocks out the other or the ref has to stop it. If 3 judges has to tell me who won, it stopped being a sport. I know...I know....you disagree but its my definition. If a judge can tell you who won then a beauty contest can be a sport.

Okay, I'll go now.

Archived