Tried Cloning Win 7 Hd - Now 2 Computers Down

gawguy

First both laptops working fine. One has everything I want on it, other just acquired.

Tried Acronis to copy c: drive from comp #1 to comp #2. They are almost identical thinkpad T-61's. 160 gb drives. Got errors like "drive could not be found" after Acronis rebooted the system to start the process.

So, I took hd from #2 and put it in Ultrabay adapter and put it in where dvd goes. All was well. I ran the Clone Disc operation with no errors. Put it back into comp #2 and got blue screen of death error msg "Windows failed to start...Insert Win install disc..click "Repair your Computer."

Status: 0xc0000225 Info: Boot selection failed because required device is inaccessible."

AND !!! when I went back to my computer #1, which I was trying to clone, I got the exact same blue screen! Attempting to clone a disk changed something on it!? WTF?? I didn't know hd's were ever touched when you tried to make an image or clone them.

This is Win 7 Ultra 64 bit on Sata hd's.

I have found on eBay Win 7 Ultimate for $90. They look like originals, boxed, from Top-Rated Sellers. What are those? Should I buy one? "BRAND NEW WINDOWS 7 Ultimate Full Version Installation Disc32/64 bit- SEALED"

Someone offering something on craigslist for $20 - some kind of copy he says works fine, but the ad is down now so I can't quote it.

There's also something called on ebay "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Restore Recovery Repair Fix PC Laptop Boot CD DVD" for $10. Think that might work.

Lucky I have lots of laptops.

Help!! Gaw Guy

Help

Attempting to clone a disk changed something on it!? WTF?? I didn't know hd's were ever touched when you tried to make an image or clone them.

Disks are not altered when you use them as a source for an image or clone them to another disk.

Maybe you cloned the nonworking Windows to the disk that was still fine. An error that may happen when you have two identical disks and choose the wrong one as source.

Disks are not altered when you use them as a source for an image or clone them to another disk.

Maybe you cloned the nonworking Windows to the disk that was still fine. An error that may happen when you have two identical disks and choose the wrong one as source.

Carlton...

There was Disk 1, which I selected for Source and Disk 2, which I selected for target. Even if I had chosen the wrong one as source, it was working perfectly fine, so I should of gotten at least a working image of the Disk 2. I'm sure I didn't do that. I know the risk and have clone disks before no problem.

I also had problems when I made a regular image with Acronis. I made that image to a partition on comp #2 hd. I got an error msg something like "Disc could not be found" from Acronis.

I've made a W7 image before and it worked fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm putting up another post re the various w7 disks that I see for sale.

Thanks so much... GG

Carlton...

There was Disk 1, which I selected for Source and Disk 2, which I selected for target. Even if I had chosen the wrong one as source, it was working perfectly fine, so I should of gotten at least a working image of the Disk 2. I'm sure I didn't do that. I know the risk and have clone disks before no problem.

I also had problems when I made a regular image with Acronis. I made that image to a partition on comp #2 hd. I got an error msg something like "Disc could not be found" from Acronis.

I've made a W7 image before and it worked fine.

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm putting up another post re the various w7 disks that I see for sale.

Thanks so much... GG

Like Carlton I think too that you mixed up the disks. There can't be another explanation, except that for whatever reason the source disk died during the whole process.

Also: that a regular image on the second PC didn't work should have been a huge red flag for you. Before cloning the disks you should have run an intensive health check _on both_ disks.

Anyway, personally I don't like cloning disks. With this you clone all HD errors, defect files and damages of the source OS (including viruses, trojans, e.g.).

Much better is to set up the PCs individually and copy the files from A to B. With this defect files will be sorted out.

The only thing you can do now is to run a health check of the source HD, but don't try to repair the HD with simple Windows programs! It can make things even worse.

If your data are important you might need professional recovery software like Kroll Ontrack File Recovery software. Good recovery software is expensive (you might find it at file sharing sites though).

PS: If you consider to keep on cloning HDs make sure the run a health check and clean up program on the HDs. It's well known that Windows HDs need to be defragged frequently.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem was resolved quickly.

There is an excellent little computer shop in my neighborhood in USA. I called them and the tech had experience with the problem which he said is unique to Thinkpads and how they manage disks. He said that something needed to be "shifted" (maybe a tweek to the boot file?) He also said that when using Acronis with Thinkpads you should use sector-by-sector copy. I've had Thinkpads and Acronis working great for over ten years, but this was the first time I tried to clone a disk while running Win 7. I'm guessing that might have been the problem.

He brought my two machines back to life same day and they charged me for one hour labor ($75 USD).

BTW for those who don't approve of me working on my own computers: (1) I have very good reasons for loving my Thinkpads - I've had about a dozen of them. (2) Diddling around with them is my little simple-minded hobby.

Thanks for all your input.

Gaw Guy

Archived