Tried Cloning Win 7 Hd - Now 2 Computers Down

gawguy

Problem was resolved quickly.

There is an excellent little computer shop in my neighborhood in USA. I called them and the tech had experience with the problem which he said is unique to Thinkpads and how they manage disks. He said that something needed to be "shifted" (maybe a tweek to the boot file?) He also said that when using Acronis with Thinkpads you should use sector-by-sector copy. I've had Thinkpads and Acronis working great for over ten years, but this was the first time I tried to clone a disk while running Win 7. I'm guessing that might have been the problem.

He brought my two machines back to life same day and they charged me for one hour labor ($75 USD).

BTW for those who don't approve of me working on my own computers: (1) I have very good reasons for loving my Thinkpads - I've had about a dozen of them. (2) Diddling around with them is my little simple-minded hobby.

Thanks for all your input.

Gaw Guy

Good to hear that you could solve the problem. 75 USD doesn't seem too much for your grave problem.

In regard to Thinkpads, before we moved to Apple we only used IBM/Lenovo notebooks. Extremely reliable and very good customer service. And I think Thinkpads have a special partition where there store certain information and software. I guess this had been messed up.

PS: Next time you try this kind of operation, make sure that you have complete backup of your data!!!

Archived