Smile! It Might Lower Your Stress Level, Study Shows

cavanami

Smile! It Might Lower Your Stress Level, Study Shows

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/smile-it-might-lower-your-stress-level-study-shows

Stressed out? Turn that frown upside down and you might just feel better, new research contends.

Researchers at the University of Kansas subjected college students to anxiety-inducing tasks and found that those who smiled through them appeared to have less stress.

The study, led by research psychologists Tara Kraft and Sarah Pressman, is scheduled for publication in an upcoming issue of Psychological Science.

"Age-old adages, such as 'grin and bear it,' have suggested smiling to be not only an important nonverbal indicator of happiness but also wishfully promotes smiling as a panacea for life's stressful events," Kraft said in a journal news release. "We wanted to examine whether these adages had scientific merit; whether smiling could have real health-relevant benefits."

To do so, they had 169 university students engage in tasks known to induce stress, such as tracing a star using their non-dominant hand while looking at a reflection of the star in a mirror. Another task had the participants plunge their hand into icy water...

We Kansans, by nature, are a friendly, simple lot. We also reduce stress by breaking Guinness world records,like making the biggest ball of string. I don't think that these tests would go over very well in New York City.

and not to put too finer point on it:

the study shows that Kansas college students, subjected to anxiety-inducing tasks, appeared to have less stress.

No data on 52 yr old whoremongers with a predilection for beautiful Asian women...

hubbahubba.gif

We Kansans, by nature, are a friendly, simple lot. We also reduce stress by breaking Guinness world records,like making the biggest ball of string. I don't think that these tests would go over very well in New York City.

to relieve my stress i used to string paperclips together when bored at 3am when at work.

used to make me smile when i heard the curses of the people i worked with when they found out.

unfortunately i was eventually found out to be the culprit......... :banghead:

to relieve my stress i used to string paperclips together when bored at 3am when at work.

used to make me smile when i heard the curses of the people i worked with when they found out.

• 1 month later...

I remember watching a documentary about the Battle of Britain and they asked an elderly former Spitfire Pilot what he thought about the stresses of modern day life on young people today. The old guys smiled and answered "Stress?...Stress is having a Messerschmitt on your arse" I like to try and remember that quote when ever I feel under a bit of pressure

One of our sergeants when he was CQ (charge of quarters) used to pull the keys off the company clerk's typewriter and put them all on wrong. The clerk could touch type and it didn't bother him, but it drove everyone else crazy if they tried to type on it. :)

"Age-old adages, such as 'grin and bear it,' have suggested smiling to be not only an important nonverbal indicator of happiness but also wishfully promotes smiling as a panacea for life's stressful events," Kraft said in a journal news release. "We wanted to examine whether these adages had scientific merit; whether smiling could have real health-relevant benefits."

I remember when I learnt Kendo (Japanese sword-fighting) at university. My trainer was the European champion at that time and the training was really tough. When I tried to execute the exercises as best as possible, with blisters on hands and bare feet, while he hit me with the (bamboo) sword frequently, he always told me: "smile".

Too bad that I changed university after a year. It was a great experience.

Archived