Year Long Stay Or Longer

From what I've been hearing over the past year or so, the "Rules" are applied as per the "interpretation" of the PIC in each individual Consulate, so what applies in Brisbane may be totally different to what applies in Savanaket.

I have no first hand experience as I hold a Retirement Visa.

However, even with this, the 90 Day reporting rules vary somewhat from each different Immigration Office.

Just have to smile and give them what they want

Cheers DS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just been to the Thai embassy in brisbane. They tell me i cant get a multiple entry visa, because im not doing business or volunteering or studying.

Tell me i can get tourist visa which will allow me to get 3 entries each of 2 months, so 6 months in total, then i would have to leave the country and go to another embassy and apply for the same visa to give me the extra 6 months. But nothing changes as in its upto that consulate as to wether they will give me another visa of the same to be able to max out 1 year.

Anyway around this, ie is this true

thoughts help and guidance appreciated

Last time I got a tourist visa it was a double entry,so 60 days,then extend that by another 30 days at immigration for the fee of c. 2k bt.When that expires exit the country and get the second entry,then repeat.So a triple entry TR visa should be good for almost 9 months.Please correct me if I`m wrong here :chinaman:

Last time I got a tourist visa it was a double entry,so 60 days,then extend that by another 30 days at immigration for the fee of c. 2k bt.When that expires exit the country and get the second entry,then repeat.So a triple entry TR visa should be good for almost 9 months.Please correct me if I`m wrong here :chinaman:

if that is indeed the case then that would be much much better i think.

Didn't someone write here that the old re-enter the country on the lastdays of your visa and get another 90days are over?

DDDAVE?

Brisbane Consulate is usually good.

Did you ask the right question?

what questions should i have asked?.

I went in and asked them about visa's, told them i wanted to stay a year or so and then i should be eligible for retirement visa.

They informed me about the o visa's and the like, and told me i could only get multiple entry if i was doing business, volunteering, or studying and i would need like a reference to confirm this.

so as i said above they told me it was tourist visa which would give me 3 entries each of 2 months.

So if i should have said something else let me know if there's a way around it.

it would be great to be able to get 2months then an extension for a month and so on , as stated then i could stretch it out to 9 months if thats legal.

cheers

G

So glad I qualify for the retirement visa, but you can never take anything for granted with the Thai bureacracy. It really is a case of 'expect the worst and hope for the best' and don't count your stamps until they are in your passport.

huumlaar, Mekong and Stickman have both made the claim re 'rolling' TVs that you refer to. It's obviously aimed at getting rid of people who are using the tourist visa to work illegally in Thailand, and seems to be a case of them enforcing their own rules. Erratic but its obviously easier than mounting a raid on lower Suk ....

It is a known fact that the Thai Consulate in Hull was an easy touch for British Passport holders to get a 12 Month Multiple visa from but over the past 12 months or so I have heard of clampdowns on issuing of such not just via online forums but second hand from a friend of mine who has been doing such for over 10 years and got rejected on his last application, I had to close out is apartment in BKK and ship all his personal effects back to the UK for him.

Going the company route is an alternative but not without risks, for a start you need a Thai National to go into business with and also Thai employees who who have to pay Social Security payments for. Considering the OP has not lived in Thailand "Long Term" previously I doubt that he would anyone well enough to set up a company with let alone know a decent lawyer and accountancy firm to take care of everything (no not Sunbelt Asia).

If you do go the company route you can usually get away with 2 years without reporting a profit, "Business is Bad" "Finding Leads" etc seem to work with the authorities just as long as you stay on top of your Social Security payments for your employees, hence the reason for a good accountancy firm to cover your arse and also be your "Miss Fix-It" at immigration and Department of Employment / Ministry of Labour, it has taken me 15 months to just about start making a profit.

I still recommend Non-Imm ED for the OP's purposes.

Reading through the leaflet enclosed with my last tourist visa came across an interesting paragraph in bold type " Please note that it is your responsibility at all times to check dates entered in your passport in England and in Thailand to ensure that they are correct ".Last time I failed to do this and so failed to spot that they had stamped the wrong date in my passport,this was picked up at immi. ( Jomtien ) when I came to extend the 60 day TV. :confused: In this leaflet it also states that a 30 days extension on a TV is possible and that leaving the country after 90 days and re-entering is a standard and accepted proceedure. :twocents::deal:

Archived