Suv In Thailand

Horneytorney

SUV seem to be very popular in Thailand.

I consider myself to buy one. Here is a list of what is available at what price in Thailand: http://www.thaicar.com/demo/new_car/detail_all.php?type=4

From the most popular Toyota Fortuner and Isuzu MU-7 until the high end (and expensive) Land Rover and German BMW x-Series and Porsche Cayenne

are you driving a SUV? what brand and why? experiences?

or you stick to the

- "normal" cars http://www.thaicar.com/demo/new_car/detail_all.php?type=1

- pick ups

- tuck tuck

- motorcycle

I have had 2 Fortuners in the past both from new and found them to be 100% reliable. The reason I traded in the older one was because I had owned it for 3 Years, the length of the Toyota warranty but even with 90,000 KM on the clock it still ran like new. My ex Father in Law has it for the last 4 years now and has put another 100,000 KM on it and it is still going well and no problems.

I will be working / commuting to Eastern Seaboard again for the next 10 months before following the project overseas so I am considering getting another one but more than likely on a long term rental than buying it outright.

I can't comment first hand on the MU-7 having never owned or driven one but I have not heard any negative feedback from people I do know who own them. For me it is Toyota's reliability record and the number of Dealers for the 10,000KM services. Also under Toyota warranty the charges are for Labour and Basic consumables (Oil, Oil & Air Filter etc) when you get to a Major Service such as 60,000 KM the brakes are replaced free of charge, average service fee was less than 2,000 THB.

Depends on your needs really.

As Mekhong points out, the Fortuner seems to be the SUV of choice. A friend has the MU-7 and is happy with it. Note that this is truck-based ans still has rear spring leaf suspension. As does the Everest.

I recently went for a small SUV after driving standard cars for years because I needed the extra ground clearance and part-time 4WD.

Look for a diesel if possible as it is heavily subsidised so will keep your running costs down.

• Like 1

I recently went for a small SUV after driving standard cars for years because I needed the extra ground clearance and part-time 4WD.

Look for a diesel if possible as it is heavily subsidised so will keep your running costs down.

so what brand of a "small SUV" did you buy? experience?

diesel subsidized: you mean tax or fuel or what is subsidized?

Diesel Fuel is subsidised, in Thailand it is 75% the cost of Gashol and 60% the price of Unleaded Gas, in the UK Diesel is 2-3% more expensive than unleaded.

Also since the Fortuner along with other SUV's are based on a Pick Up Chassis the Registration / Transfer tax is lower as well as the annual road fund licence fee.

I agree with BB's observation that one does feel safer in an SUV than a mid-sized sedan (Camry etc) which would cost a little bit more.