Transferring Dollars Into Thai Bank Account

gobbledonk

OK, assuming I get a Thai bank account (assuming it wont be a problem with retirement visa), what is the best way to accomplish the conversion/transfer without getting completely reamed ? I'm thinking 1OK AUD at a time, starting with a few hundred to see what that costs me.

Thanks,

Gobble

1. Make sure the Bank you use transfers DIRECT....and not through an intermediary bank (example CBA sells off t/fers to Citibank....who then tfer at the Oz onshore exchange rate)...net result on a 35k AUD (1 mill+ Bt) tfer...+/- .25% shortage or loss of around 18k Bt...PLUS fees & charges

2. Make sure Bank transfers in Oz $$ and that your Bank in LOS does the exchange.

3. Look at Companies like Ozforex, I've not used them but a mate swears by their service

Cheeers DS

yes indeed! make sure that the money is changed into THB in Thailand and not outside as the currency rate is much better.

the Thai bank will change your money at the TT buying rate and charge a usual fix fee at +/- 500 THB; you also have a fee on the account abroad

for a couple of hundred USD, a bank transfer does not make sense because of the fees.

transactions larger than 20'000 USD can trigger some questions about the purpose of the transfer, your intentions etc.

up to 250-300 USD: change cash

250-300 USD - 1000-2000 USD: use ATM card from foreign bank

from 1000-2000 USD: bank transfer

Thanks guys - greatly appreciated. Still working my way through this stuff - plenty of time but I dont want to leave everything to the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Our plan is to move to Thailand in a few years.....5 to 7 years.

But we will plan it all only in the last 5-6 months ahead, why bother now when things might change ?

BB

Our plan is to move to Thailand in a few years.....5 to 7 years.

But we will plan it all only in the last 5-6 months ahead, why bother now when things might change ?

BB

Boredom, I guess ...

Ted: [smiles] Oh, the hitchhiker? That's what this is about, the hitchhiker? Oh, oh, great. This is my luck - I get caught for everything.

Detective Krevoy: [pats strongly on Ted's shoulder] So... you admit it?

Ted: Ah, yeah, guilty as charged. Look, I know you guys got a job to do, alright? And I'm really sorry. I did it, I admit it. You know, the guy even told me, the hitchhiker told me it was illegal.

Detective Krevoy: Well, uh, can you tell us his name?

Ted: Ah... no, I didn't catch it. Can we cut to the chase, I mean, am I like in a lot of trouble here?

Detective Stabler: [nods] First tell us why you did it.

Ted: Why I did it? Ah... I don't know. Boredom? The guy turned to be a blubber mouth who just would not shut up.

Detective Krevoy: [trying to control himself] Ted, this wasn't your first time, was it?

Ted: No.

Detective Krevoy: How many are we talking here?

Ted: [confused] Hitchhikers? My whole life? Ah... I don't know - twenty-five, fifty... I mean, who keeps track? Hey, you know, I know this is the Bible Belt and everything, but where I come from this is not that big deal, I mean...

Detective Krevoy: You son of a bitch! You're gonna fry!

Archived